PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I5 to Alpha Converson - Anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:07 AM
Default I5 to Alpha Converson - Anyone done this?

With the withdrawl of Hummer, we never actually got the V8 here in Australia. I have an I5, and a deposit on the alpha a couple of years back... I'm looking at what is involved with a transplant of the alpha running gear into an I5.. Has anyone tried it ? - Would it be better to buy a crashed V8 and import into Aus to replace all the parts I need , or buy a new motor, Ecu.// Are the Trannys, axles, brakes etc the same between models ?? or am I waisting my time even thinking about it ..?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:45 AM

Is do-able....not cheap, biggest issue is the wiriing and getting essentially your exisiting computer to accept and understand the wiring from new engine etc...new engine mounts needed.....
will need to add 2 fans infront of radiator (1 wasnt enough to cope with hard drives in the the sand dunes), transmission.gears etc ok, especially if adventure model (which I have), will need to change exhaust as well....it is a time consuming job and as said wont be cheap especially in oz im sure.....but when all done, its a nice change...get them to do a performance tune as well and off you go....bit dearer to run but thats to be expected....
Really depends on what is allowable in Oz....
Do a search here, there are a few others thinking of it too......
Good luck...

p.s happy australia day for last week....

Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 AM

For the cost and hassle you would be better off just importing one

Old 01-29-2012, 10:35 AM

The Aplhas have a re-worked firewall to fit the bigger engine. Not sure what modifications may be necessary using the standard firewall.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 PM

Just add a supercharger kit to the 3.7. There are several companies that make them. Much cheaper and less headache imho

Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 PM

I have a brand new engine harness and computer for an '09 Hummer which I bought for my '07. The engine I bought is from an '04 Trailblazer and that won't work because it has the wrong elector ring. The harness will work if you buy an '08 or '09 Chevy engine. I have $975 (US $) in these parts, which are still in GM boxes. You would need to buy an oil pan for an Alpha from Chevrolet for about $150 and power steering and alternator bracket for around $150 also. You would also need to buy a new power steering pump. You would have to manufacture the motor mounts yourself. You will need to buy a 4L60E transmissions hogshead for a V8 to bolt onto your existing transmission. Of course, there will be other minor modifications with hoses, etc. Current Performance in Florida does a lot with LS engine computer upgrades.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by talusfan
For the cost and hassle you would be better off just importing one
I dont know, but given they drive on the left side of the road...ie. RHD vehicles, I would expect Aust to have restrictions on what LHD vehicles can be imported, eg. must be over a certain age, classic, emergency vehicle, not able to be bought in RHD (they already have the H3 there), have been the registered owner of it overseas for 6+months, cant sell for 5+ years after importing etc.....these are a few issues for importing to NZ so Aust likely similiar...

Shipping/importing etc must be cheap in the US as its always argued to be cheaper, unfortunaltey for us out of the US, we often double the cost to get things shipped...especially heavy/big items, like a H3.. Mind you may have change with the USD only worth about 93cents Australian....

If you have a good garage that knows what they are doing (most important part of this whole thread) the hassel is much like usual dealings with an average agency....

The biggest issue will be what is allowable in Aust re changing engine size, engine mounts etc, and being able to register it again....all the other bits are minor..

Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 PM

What about HARROP | Superchargers instead? They are located in Australia.
I'm curious what numbers they get with this setup.

Harrop HTV1320 (80ci/ rev – 1320cc/ rev) supercharger assembly using Eaton TVS™ rotors.
Intercooled manifold and tensioner bracket
Available for H3 Hummer I-5 GM Colorado / Canyon Pick-up
12 month/20,000km warranty *conditions apply

Attached Thumbnails I5 to Alpha Converson - Anyone done this?-htv1320.jpg