PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was I too rough in Baja? new noise in front

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Default Was I too rough in Baja? new noise in front

OK...I thought I noticed this towards the end of my Baja trip, after driving it around all week I am convinced something is different. There is a deep thumping noise coming from the front end of my truck, it only happens when I hit certain bumps, I mainly hear it when I am making a turn and hit some bumps in the road, it seems to coming from both sides, but maybe more one side than the other depending on which tire ran over the bump. It is not a clank or rattle, more of a deep thump that seems suspension related or maybe the front hubs,axle?? You can sort of feel it in the steering wheel, floorboard, and gas pedal. Driving straight or on smooth roads is OK, not all bumps cause the noise but certain ones do, the thump happens immediatly after driving over bumps, usually it isjust 1 or 2 thumps at a time. I looked under the truck myself, most things I can get my hands on seem tight. I may give it some more time before I take it in to see if it gets worse or better ( wishful thinking ), this sounds like something that may be hard to diagnos. I have already had:

head/valve problem
loose exhaust shroud

both of which have been fixed. I love my Hummer I just hate all these damn problems[&:]. ( I wasnt that rough with it in Baja )

[IMG]local://upfiles/2273/115A5964FAC34622992A933894A769FA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Default RE: Was I too rough in Baja? new noise in front

I read here somewhere..that a noise like you described as being some kind of play or looseness in the steering..Not tierods, but where the steering shaft goes to the steering gear box ( I think)...that's all I remember and the dealer was able to fixed it.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 PM

I saw that post about the steering shaft, it mentioned he/she was able to grab the shaft and feel some play in it which caused the noise, I just went out during my lunch and tried that and it seemed tight with no play. Could it still be making the noise even though it feels tight?

Old 05-18-2007, 03:50 PM

you won't feel any looseness with pressure on the tires. in order to see if the pitman arm is loose on the steering gear, you'll need both front wheels off the ground. one other thing to check is your undercarriage protection. if you can feel it in the floorboard, it's probably something hitting the frame. anyway, in order to find something loose in your suspension or steering, you'll need to get the front up and supported on a frame member. see if there's any play in the wheels, side to side.you'll need to take off the skid plate to see slop on the pitman/steering box. good luck

Old 05-18-2007, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that this weekend.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:35 PM

no problem. my guess is that's it's loose undercarriage protection or maybe a busted shock. if it was steering related, you'd probably feel it turning whether you hit a bump or not.