PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I need some options please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Default I need some options please!!!

Just heard from my neighbor that less than a block away from me (about 20 houses away) that at 2 am someone broke into an 87 year old womans home and Strangled her to death. This was the first Murder in the history of my town....so now I have to consider doing something I always said I would never do....I'm going to need to bring at least one of my guns upstairs and out of my gun vault. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it easy and fast to get to in case I need it but also to make it safe and secure from my sons?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I need some options please!!!

Long gun or pistol/revolver??

Old 02-26-2008, 11:53 AM

I have one of these bolted under my bed.I canopen it FASTin the dark no problem, without needing a key.

http://www.gunvault.com/pages/store/...ivaultstandard

Old 02-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Impy, several options. They have the gun vaults that open when you set your hand on them and push the buttons in your pre-arranged sequence.
My bedside table has a sliding top with a "jewelry' shelf hidden in it. Never kept anything there but at night I take one of my Colt 1911s and put it on the shelf. All I have to do to get to it is to slide the bedside table top forward and the pistol is there. That way when if my kids wandered into the bedroom at night there was nothing for them to see. In the morning the pistol goes back into the safe for the day. I've done this for 20 years. The bedside table was bought at one of the chain furniture stores and I have seen many with similiar set ups.
I am sure there are many other options but that is what I have done.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:04 PM

Trigger Locks? Keep mags or ammo close but in seperate location? That's how I do it.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Nice job Bassgear, that's what I was talking about.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:28 PM

That's a real tough one. Trigger locks suck period! Gun vaults are OK if you can use them in the heat of the moment. Firearm separate from ammo works but takes precious time to make thefirearm functional.

How old are your boys? Are they involved in your shooting activities? Do they know how to handle firearms safely and with respect? You should teach them from an early age, including your wife that firearms are not toys and are not to be touched under any circumstances! Get them involved in shooting so they know how to safely handle a firearm and they’ll be less likely to have a accident.

But I’ve got to be honest, my handgun was always either under my pillow, on my hip or in my gun safe. Absolutely no exceptions!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:29 PM

thanks guys...I'll be using my 357 mag for this I guess...for some reason I just prefer revolvers to semi autos. I like that lockbox safe thing with the hand print lock thingamajig....that's pretty cool!! I'm gonna hve to check into that! My son likes to come into my room at liek 3 am and snoop around until I wake up...so the gun NEEDS to be locked in something. I hate trigger locks and won't use them anymore...two years ago I had a guy trying to break into my shed...ran to teh gun case, got teh 357 with triggger lock...and the freekin key broke in the damn thing. I ended up bieng able to grab one of my 12 gauge shotguns but I will never trust one of them again. There's still like 40 cop cars there...the local cops have no clue what to do...kinda funny to watch. But they did get to use the 150,000 dollar CSI truck they bought two years ago and only use for parades.How much does a murder 20 houses away effect property valueFriggen government allowed this crap to happen...basterds!!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:49 PM

alpha...my boys are almost 4 years old and 6 months old. Th e4 year old is too young to be taught gun safetly. I learned when I was around 7 I think.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:52 PM

educate them about the guns and even take them to shoot a couple of times. this will remove in most cases the curiousness from their heads and they won't want to fool with them. this is what i did with my kids and to this day they won't touch any thing as far as weapons go. my whole family trains in martial arts and are tought how to use anything from the surroundings as a weapon because its not what you use its how you use it. Good luck. remember don't freak out about this as you said this is the first time in 20 yrs. it may never happen again.

Quick Reply: I need some options please!!!