PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some info when installing HID's

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Default I need some info when installing HID's

Before anyone yells at me I know that the starr projector system Is good times to be had. I That the HID conversion kits like you get on ebay are illegal and blind people. I would get the starr projectors but I am not spending 900 dollars right now but I may buy it in future.

Which brings me to my situation, I bought two sets of HID kits h10 and h13 both were 8000k. I put in the h10's for the fogs work great now problems. I changed my mind on headlights and decided to drop it down to 6000k, I didnt want as much blue. Today I go to install the kit its the ballasts from the "8000K kit" with the 6000k bulbs I just bought everything hooks up nicely. The 6000k bulbs even had a connector harness for the h13 bulb which the 8000k bulbs didnt have. before I installed the ballasts perminantly I went to go check to make sure it would light up and nothing happen. I remembered some guys mentioning taking out the number 39 fuse for day time running lights I did so still nothing. My question is does anyone know if the ballasts are different depending on the k ratings or can the same ballast be used across the different k rated bulbs. I was going to get the ballast and test with the fogs that are 8000k now and know work to see if maybe the ballasts are just shot. I sadly ran out of day light and had to stop and just put the halogens back in I will attempt this tomorrow weather permitting. It just to me seems rare that I would get either two dead bulbs or ballasts and I am probably doing something wrong with mixing the bulbs with the ballasts or something. I hope someone can help me with this situation or shed light on what I could try. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long question/rant.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 PM

I will not lecture on legal HID's and the "kits" you bought
You have heard it all before.

Unless someone has installed the exact kit you have, why not contact the company who sold you these kits ?
You may have already done this, but I thought I would mention it to you.
Kelvin temperature should have no bearing on the type of ballast
Ballasts are designed to give proper voltage to very specific bulbs,i.e. you can't run 35 watt DS2 bulbs on a 50 watt ballast

When i run into these kind of problems, I start at the beginning and do a reinstall in the vehicle. It may seem crazy, but you may have missed something very simple
swap out working parts, left for right, this may help you isolate what might be the culprit

good luck

Last edited by wfturner; 12-05-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:30 AM

Yeah I did contact the company I bought from and am awaiting an answer. I was just hoping someone might have done the same thing as me but if your saying ballast and bulb can be mixed maybe I am missing something. I was gonna do some trial and error today but my luck it snowed. LOL

Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 PM

On some of those prefab kits, the plug that comes from the Hummer to the ballast might be plugged in backwards (+) and (-). Maybe try reversing that plug???

Old 12-07-2009, 09:57 AM

you know you will lose high-beam?????

Old 12-07-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by kimbob1982
you know you will lose high-beam?????

That all depends on what kit you buy..... I bought two kits from DDM tuning and bought the high/low beam kit for an extra cost. The DDM kit has a lifetime warranty on bulbs and ballast. The kit I got for the headlights is also 55 watts 6000k instead of the normal 35 watts. I used the 35 watt 8000k kit for my fogs since the housing is smaller. Just so you know the fog lights are +- flipped compared to most of the kits you can get. They are a great upgrade! If you add HID's you may also want to adjust the headlight down, so you dont blind passing cars. Here is a short video so you get an idea of what mine look like. I will be happy to help anyone who has questions.

Later
Dustin

Old 12-07-2009, 10:55 PM

I got a chance to go back and look at the wires. I figured out that the wire that goes to the ballast from the bulb the labeling of the wires polarities were wrong. Because I used two different companies for the bulbs and then the ballasts. After I swapped them around like wfturner said trying it worked. I do not have high beams and I knew I wouldn't but I am ok with that. Considering my high beams were almost non existent with the stock bulbs just having a bit more viewing distance but strong lighting within the distance with the HID's is worth it.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=Dustint21;213355]That all depends on what kit you buy..... I bought two kits from DDM tuning and bought the high/low beam kit for an extra cost. The DDM kit has a lifetime warranty on bulbs and ballast. The kit I got for the headlights is also 55 watts 6000k instead of the normal 35 watts. I used the 35 watt 8000k kit for my fogs since the housing is smaller. Just so you know the fog lights are +- flipped compared to most of the kits you can get. They are a great upgrade! If you add HID's you may also want to adjust the headlight down, so you dont blind passing cars. Here is a short video so you get an idea of what mine look like. I will be happy to help anyone who has questions.

Lifetime warranty on bulbs?
I really don't think so.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:46 PM

[quote=wfturner;213402]
Originally Posted by Dustint21
That all depends on what kit you buy..... I bought two kits from DDM tuning and bought the high/low beam kit for an extra cost. The DDM kit has a lifetime warranty on bulbs and ballast. The kit I got for the headlights is also 55 watts 6000k instead of the normal 35 watts. I used the 35 watt 8000k kit for my fogs since the housing is smaller. Just so you know the fog lights are +- flipped compared to most of the kits you can get. They are a great upgrade! If you add HID's you may also want to adjust the headlight down, so you dont blind passing cars. Here is a short video so you get an idea of what mine look like. I will be happy to help anyone who has questions.

Lifetime warranty on bulbs?
I really don't think so.

If you do a search on the products I talked about you would find that its TRUE!!! Here is the link ...http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=101&parent=85

I have done my research, and contacted the company before buying the product. There is a lifetime warranty on the kit against any manufacture's defects INCLUDING the BULBS....

Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 PM

[QUOTE=Dustint21;213416]
Originally Posted by wfturner

If you do a search on the products I talked about you would find that its TRUE!!! Here is the link ...http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=101&parent=85

I have done my research, and contacted the company before buying the product. There is a lifetime warranty on the kit against any manufacture's defects INCLUDING the BULBS....
Quite honestly, what that implies is that when you receive the kit and install the bulbs/ballasts that they warrant that they will work upon receipt of the product. If a bulb wears out after years of service, they won't replace it with a new bulb.
Bulbs do wear out after normal use.
Of course they may tell you other wise, just to impress you upon buying their product.
A manufactures warranty is a guarantee against defects at the time you buy it and prior to installation. Those warranties are very common

Quick Reply: I need some info when installing HID's