PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummer Name, What's yours?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Default RE: Hummer Name, What's yours?

ORIGINAL: Hummerguy123

I was inspired to name my truck today, "Gunny Highway"

Bone is cool though!! Great vid!!!
Thanks Hummerguy123!

Old 07-25-2006, 01:54 AM

Here's the name of mine,,,

[IMG]local://upfiles/267/2DF0B71C18994D1DA54939413933F002.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-25-2006, 10:05 AM

never thought of one i need help
come up with a name for me and a good one no wise ones

Old 07-25-2006, 10:41 AM

Boy you're asking for trouble now

Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 AM

ok what about Dilo's Hummer
that does not sound good either

Old 07-25-2006, 12:39 PM

how about..."Old Blue"..?

Old 07-25-2006, 12:55 PM

HUMMER Blues
that it

Old 07-25-2006, 01:37 PM

Dilo's Hummer:
The BLue Max.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:11 PM

We have a bit of a disagreement over the name. He had not named it. So since it was Victory Red I was calling the Hummer "Vicky." But now he thinks the Hummer should have a more "manly" name and calls the Hummer "Victor."

Other names? My last car was Bessie. My Ford Five Hundred is Dixee. And my Harley is Teufelhund.

Angel

Old 07-25-2006, 04:46 PM

Americans forge bond with vehicles
By Caryn Rousseau
Associated Press
It’s no secret: Americans love their cars. Some Americans love their cars so much that they give the vehicles names. Or talk to them. Or consider them members of the family.

We’re not talking the Batmobile or Scooby’s Mystery Machine; the General Lee and Herbie the Love Bug are better examples. But it’s bigger than Hollywood. It’s motorists who give their vehicles human names. And Michael Downing, a creative writing professor at Tufts University in Medford, Mass., is perplexed and fascinated by the behavior.

“There is no object in our lives closer to us than the car, and the naming of it is to elevate its status,” Downing said. “I really do think people name things to claim them. Naming is the beginning of a conversation and a relationship.”

Downing even has a fancy term for naming your car: anthropomorphizing. For the non-English majors, that means giving human characteristics to non-human things. His theory about why motorists name their vehicles? Americans are lonely people.

“Many people spend a lot of time alone, and one place we spend a lot of time alone is in cars,” he says. “We’re all commuting so much alone that we’re looking for company.”

Think of all the things you do for your car. You give it gas, take it for oil changes, run it through car washes and constantly worry it will break down. It’s relationship upkeep, Downing says.

“It’s, ‘I’ll take care of you,’ ” he says.

And the talking to the car, even though it won’t answer?

“Of course it’s magical thinking,” he says. “But in America, cars are magic.”

Constant companion

Taunyl Bailey, 29, of Detroit bought her black 2005 Mercury Milan sedan in December and promptly named it Mimi. “It just seemed fitting,” she says. “Everybody that I talk to says, ‘That car just fits you.’ I thought, well, let me give it a name if it fits me that well.”

The double “M” sound of Mercury Milan inspired the name Mimi, but Bailey says there’s no other special meaning. She loves to talk to Mimi.

“Especially if I think it’s dirty,” she says. “I’ll say, ‘I’m sorry you’re so dirty. I have to wash you.’ I went on a road trip. It got excellent gas mileage and I was like, ‘Oh, you did so well.’ ”

She admits all the chatter is more for her benefit than the car’s.

“It’s part of the family,” she said. “I definitely depend on it.”

Vehicle realist

John Gundich, 29, of Crest Hill, Ill., drives his navy blue 2000 Jeep Cherokee to the train station everyday for his commute into downtown Chicago. Gundich is a big fan of Charlie Brown cartoons. The natural name for his SUV? Sally.

“It was October, and my favorite cartoon ever is ‘The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown,”’ Gundich says. “Sally was always the cute kid there.”

Car naming tends to run in the family, though. His wife’s car? She calls it Charlie.

Quick Reply: Hummer Name, What's yours?