PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer H3 alpha performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Default Hummer H3 alpha performance upgrades?

I was thinking a K&N Cold air intake would be a good start, but I can't find them for the H3 with the 5.3l v8.

Anybody know which one to get, and any other easy performance upgrades?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:05 AM

Stay away from the oiled filters

look into an AFE PRO Dry and an AirDoc CAI intake.
2008-2009 Alphas can be tuned with a superchips tuner.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:18 AM

I have an 08 Alpha with GM performance exhaust(Borla), Airdoc intake with AFE dry filter and super chip programmer
I didn't any performance increase from the AirDoc. I get the same 0-60 times with or with out the Airdoc. (I know some people will be upset with that info) the exhaust + programmer = power increase.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Adding to Taint's start.

Intake (he covered that), PCM Tune (or Superchips cortex), Efan conversion, CAT back exhaust. When you order a tune, specify that you have an intake in the parameters so your tune accommodates that. If you want to add an Efan later, add that in your PCM tune order sheet so that can add in the patch. This package works, no question about it, and is completely reliable.

Use the search, there is lots of info on this subject.

http://www.pcmofnc.com/

Last edited by Doc Olds; 05-02-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mvrocky
I have an 08 Alpha with GM performance exhaust(Borla), Airdoc intake with AFE dry filter and super chip programmer
I didn't any performance increase from the AirDoc. I get the same 0-60 times with or with out the Airdoc. (I know some people will be upset with that info) the exhaust + programmer = power increase.
I'm not upset, you upset?

Exhaust does virtually noting by itself, but gets some sound. It is very difficult to "feel" a small bump in HP/TQ with a 5000# truck, but dynos can corroborate flow bench #s so we know it works. While a hand held programmer is pretty awesome, I still like the specific custom tune parameters you can only get with a mail order tune better.

Measuring 0-60 times in an H3 is pretty much like giving a blind guy the finger. It might have felt good, but in the end, it did not accomplish its intended purpose.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 PM

I like the super chip programmer. I comes with some real nice presets to choose from and if you want you can also do your own custom tune too.
When I drive from WI. to FL. I like the MPG tune and when pulling my boat I can change to towing just as easy vs a set tune.
I also use the GM performance exhaust. Whole thing new $400 on Ebay. Can't beat the price for a nice exhaust. I do still want to add the Airdoc.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by doc olds
measuring 0-60 times in an h3 is pretty much like giving a blind guy the finger. It might have felt good, but in the end, it did not accomplish its intended purpose.
Right

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Last edited by fharmon1; 05-02-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:33 PM

I do know about you when I spend $ I want some to show for! I don't want someone to spend $ for no reason. Like I wouldn't steal money from a blind guy walking down the street asking me to break a $20 and given $2 back. To some people it may feel to steal there money. Not me !

Old 05-02-2014, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by mvrocky
I do know about you when I spend $ I want some to show for! I don't want someone to spend $ for no reason. Like I wouldn't steal money from a blind guy walking down the street asking me to break a $20 and given $2 back. To some people it may feel to steal there money. Not me !
Wwwwwwwwhaaaat? drtom has taken over mvrocky too! Oh NO!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:13 PM

I just changed out my K&N on my I5 for an airdoc, and there was no performance difference. The K&N site says it only adds 18hp, and with my setup which weighs 6K+, there is no possible way you are going to feel a difference

Quick Reply: Hummer H3 alpha performance upgrades?