PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUMMER H2 Driveline Slack or Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:15 PM

That's what I though too, it was just a wild guess since I was looking for possible sources of the clunk.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:59 PM

I've got close to 180k miles on my 03 H2, with many many of those miles off road from the mild to extreme trails. As a preventative maintenance measure I went in and inspected mine even took a fluid sample and it was solid as a rock still. The fluid sample showed only a few specks of solid material which were ferrous and subsequently magnetic.

Incidentally my U joints are still solid too, however I did buy a set as backup considering the mileage I have on it.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:24 PM
Default Hummer H2 SUT 08' drive shaft

Originally Posted by CLajoie222
How many people suffer from the infamous GM driveline slack or clunk? It started as just a small but not bad clunk when shifting from park to reverse and drive to reverse. Other than that everything was great. Now, it still clunks when shifting from park to reverse and drive to reverse but now happens when speeding up, slowing down, and of course backing up. This happens all the time now, but the dealer says "it's normal, everything is fine". I don't know what to do, because usually you rely on the dealer to fix these big problems, but they act like it doesn't exist. I heard about spider gears in the differential that wear out and could cause a clunk, but I have not idea how to check. I found a service bulletin that seems to discuss this problem but the latest version of this just says to disregard the issue. Here is the earlier bulletin that actually says what to do, it's from 2005: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/he..._Slip_Yoke.pdf

Could this fix my problem, or could it be something else?
Thanks in advance.
2003 HUMMER H2
Hi,
got the same problem in my H2 SUT 2008'
clunk when shifting from park to reverse and drive to reverse, and now happens when slowing down and especially when braking in tight corners

The U Joints looks OK, but I have noticed a big play on the front axle drive shaft between the transfer case and front axle

Old 04-20-2016, 07:09 PM

I have this issue in my 2008. I'm starting to accept the fact that it's 'normal'. But I think it's either the tranny or the chain in the transfer case. I've replaced my u-joints on the front and rear driveshafts.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:13 PM

I also have it in my 2009. Just one more reason to upgrade the entire power train...
I'm really unimpressed with the longevity of the 6.2L/6l80 vs the 1st gen H2 power train.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Default 2009 H2 SUV 79k

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
I also have it in my 2009. Just one more reason to upgrade the entire power train...
I'm really unimpressed with the longevity of the 6.2L/6l80 vs the 1st gen H2 power train.
So Guys, I purchased my H2 at 65k, it has driveline play since the day I got it. At hey speeds it has a slight vibration between pedal load and offload... Had an independent 4 wheels drive mechanic in SoCal verify both my front axle and transfer case had metal in the oil...I am now looking to find a shop that specializes in either replacement or repair of the parts in the inland empire area...any recommendations would be appreciated... thanks!

Old 05-07-2017, 12:16 PM

Just a thought. Place a camera under the cash Vampire pointed to the yoke front then back. Shift tranny around and have a look what the camera picks up. Be sure a lot of light is under there so the action can be observed.

I have wifi bluetooth cameras that I can look from my tablet at stuff rather than record and have to crawl under to get the camera back.

Experience with worn yokes have shown they move when the victim crawls under and grabs the shaft and turns it back and forth.

Hopefully the camera will pick up the clunk and help pin point its origin.