PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummer H1 side Crash safety

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Default Hummer H1 side Crash safety

I'm seriously considering a H1 (00'-04') for AZ monsoon and backroad driving and am trying to get a feel of how safe the hummers are in a side impact collision. There's no crash data or NHTSA tests, so hoping that people here could clue me in. Looking for rational arguments and real life experiences. I know it's no escalade as far as passive restraints, but would like to know if it is woefully inadequate.

Thanks,
Ivan

Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Default RE: Hummer H1 side Crash safety

"Woefully inadequate?"

Since this is your first post, I am tempted to believe this is just a joke posting... but I will bite nonetheless.

I was T-boned in my H1 by a Saturn going 45 mph who ran a redlight. It made two visible scratches on my rocker panel that went through the paint to the bare metal. The Saturn was totalled. I heard the impact more than I felt it.

Granted, a full-sized pickup or something similarly taller would produce different results, but you get the idea.
I would feel safer taking a hit in the H1 over an Escalade any day of the week.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:02 AM

This is not a joke post, maybe one born from relative ignorance regarding side safety data on the H1. Wasn't stating or implying in any way that it was woefully inadequate, just wondering about side safety and asking in a sarcastic manner.

Was going to refrain from explanations, but just covering my 6 in case this place filled with "post ct virgin skepticism" like "arfcom". Long story short, wife drives at odd late/wee early hours on AZ back cty roads (the 1.5 and 2 lane type) and at times has no choice option in whether or not to drive across the washes and nature's obstacles. So, need a impractical car for the sole practical purpose of a) protecting her against jackass lane swerving drunks, b) water snorkeling and mud stomping across the washes and come what may. So want know if this beast "fails" in any aspect regarding crash safety since that (according to my purposes) would be deal killer.

Well, what do you think about havin' the drive line in the center. Risk of getting crushed against that in a accident that would otherwise produce "survivable" outcomes in a large SUV?

Old 06-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

I've been in two crashes in Hummers. If I am ever in another wreck I hope for my sake I am in a Hummer.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:17 PM

http://www.lynchhummer.com/tailgater.html

this may help/entertain

Old 06-05-2008, 04:35 PM

i have seen a lot of h1's get in major crashes and none of the occupants got hurt. i have a couple of customers involved in head oncrashes and everyone was safe. as far as side impact the passangers are secured with a built in full cage roolbar design. when they get hit hard on the side they will slide sideways on the tires. we just had a customer last year that was hit by a ford f250 when the ford ran a red light at 50 mph. the hummer slid sideways and knocked down a light poll. there was a lot of damage to the Hummer but the husband, his wife and their two twins strapped into their car seats all went home with out a scratch. later that week his wife came into our dealership a traded in her BMW on her own H1.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:23 AM

Crushed against the driveline? Sit in one first. You would have to be hit by a falling object coming through the top to get crushed against the drive train. If you were sitting in the seat and someone took a object and tried to push you out the other side, the only thing in your way is the plastic doghouse. You do need to be aware based on some of your scenarios that an H-1 will get stuck, so driving through unknown washes and such in the wee hours would not be advisable. I am in the construction business and I have had wide track low ground pressure doziers go out of site in some conditions, down to the belly pan,so to think this is a rolling tank to take on any unknowncondition is a mistake.

You might also let your wife demo driving this vehicle on these roads you describe. Driving the H-1 takes some getting used to because it is so wide. You may find it uncomfortable when meeting a car at night because of this.

You will note most have a winch on the front and for the ones that actually get dirty, note the winch has been used, and it is not always for pulling out your friends stuck jeep.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

But if you are going to go through any certain set of circumstances an H1 is as good as it gets. Like 2door says there are times when it is better not to try to do something and getting caught in a wash in anything can be a huge mistake.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 AM

3hummers that is exactly my opinion too. After owning a Jeep CJ-7, Toyota FJ40, Chevy Blazer, numerous GM 4wd p/u's (which is what I drive on a daily basis) if I had to pick one to drive off in a bad spot in, it would be my H-1. The truck is, in my experience in the southeast, capable of traveling through or over any place youpurposely need to be in.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:16 AM

speaking of side impact you might not even lose any powder coating with some of the aftermarket steel rockers available. Getting pinned against the tunnel is redonkulous plus, as already mentioned, the truck sits much higher than most cars/suv's. I'd be more worried about restraints and what my head will slam into during the impact.

Quick Reply: Hummer H1 side Crash safety