PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are those painted grills holding up??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Default How are those painted grills holding up??

After checking out pics of other H3's I think I want to de - bling just a bit.
I'm taking off the chrome brush guard and going with the birch white for the grill.
Like many others I'm trying to make an informed decision on painting the chrome grill or just buying a color matched grill.
Pro's for color matched :
- No driving around without a grill while being painted.
- Most likely more durable.
- You will still have the chrome grill for resale purposes.
Cons for color matched :
- More expensive.
- Not sure about proper fitment - no returns...
- Not sure if mounting hardware is included - not much info.
Pro's for painting the chrome :
- Less expensive.
- Proper fitment.
- All hardware attached - no surprises.
Cons for painted chrome :
- Peeling or chipped paint.
- No going back to chrome once painted.
So I would like to know how those chrome grills that have been painted are holding up ??

Old 09-04-2011, 09:03 PM

I went with a paint to match grille because my paint color wasn't available in the GM Accessories line (Solar Flare Metallic) but if your paint is 50U there is an already painted grille available (part# 19156164). I went with a paint to match grille for the same reasons you posted, I wanted to keep my chrome grille if I ever decided to sell the H3, its more durable and easier to paint. Don't worry about fit if you are getting a genuine GM part because it will be the same as your chrome grille.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:11 PM
rsc

The white H3 with solid axle conversion that was for sale that had the pictures posted on here had a Line-X'd (or similar) grill that was peeling off on the edges, but I have no idea about how it was prepped (didn't look like it was sanded) or which coating it was. I think Army Medic did his H3 a few years ago and it didn't hold up too well, but don't know why. Everyone else seems to be doing well with it.

I'm not doing the grill, my H3 is boulder gray and the chrome grill looks better to me with that color than blacked out.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:14 PM
rsc

Sorry, I thought you said color matched Line-X or bedliner painting. That white grill would look good on your white 3.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by SundownAudioNY
I went with a paint to match grille because my paint color wasn't available in the GM Accessories line (Solar Flare Metallic) but if your paint is 50U there is an already painted grille available (part# 19156164). I went with a paint to match grille for the same reasons you posted, I wanted to keep my chrome grille if I ever decided to sell the H3, its more durable and easier to paint. Don't worry about fit if you are getting a genuine GM part because it will be the same as your chrome grille.
I'm not sure I'd be getting a genuine GM part.
There are a handful of sites offering painted grills but all of them seem a little shady to me. Not a lot of info listed and they want you to agree to throwing all your consumer rights out the window before ordering.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:04 AM

I've got a genuine GM black painted grill. It's been holding up well to rocks and road debris and whatnot so far for the past few months. It had some trail scuffs on it from branches and whatnot but most of that cleaned up with my orbital and some TLC. The only spot is near the drive side where something rough hit it, couple tiny scuffs through the paint but you would never seem them unless you're nose is almost on the grill.

I'll probably pick up a bottle of touch up paint and fill the scuffs in with a tooth pick just so the ohio winter doesn't get up under the paint and start bubbling or peeling it.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by DUKES
I'm not sure I'd be getting a genuine GM part.
There are a handful of sites offering painted grills but all of them seem a little shady to me. Not a lot of info listed and they want you to agree to throwing all your consumer rights out the window before ordering.
What are the sites?

Here are a few you can trust,
GM Parts Direct
Hummer Parts Online
GM Parts House

or what I would suggest is your local Hummer or Chevrolet dealer, that way if something goes wrong (you get the wrong part, its damaged or etc) you have someone to fall back on. I try and order all my parts from the local Chevrolet dealer that we get parts from at work. It may cost a couple bucks more (get 15% off list) then GM Parts Direct but you always have someone there willing to fix a problem and they truely apreciate your bussiness. There was a case were I ordered 5 OEM H3T wheels and one came damaged but they ordered another one the same day. The new one came in a week later, worse off then the first damaged one but they appologized and order another for one for me. It would be hard to get a problem like this resolved with GM Parts Direct or as fast (not to mention you would have to pay return shipping).

Old 09-05-2011, 12:22 PM

Factory black grille on my 07 H3
No cracks, peels, hits or runs

Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by SundownAudioNY
What are the sites?

Here are a few you can trust,
GM Parts Direct
Hummer Parts Online
GM Parts House

or what I would suggest is your local Hummer or Chevrolet dealer, that way if something goes wrong (you get the wrong part, its damaged or etc) you have someone to fall back on. I try and order all my parts from the local Chevrolet dealer that we get parts from at work. It may cost a couple bucks more (get 15% off list) then GM Parts Direct but you always have someone there willing to fix a problem and they truely apreciate your bussiness. There was a case were I ordered 5 OEM H3T wheels and one came damaged but they ordered another one the same day. The new one came in a week later, worse off then the first damaged one but they appologized and order another for one for me. It would be hard to get a problem like this resolved with GM Parts Direct or as fast (not to mention you would have to pay return shipping).
I've looked at all three sites you've listed.
My next step is to contact a dealer and prepare myself for sticker shock!
You are correct a few bucks more is worth dealing with an actual person.
I'll update this thread with all the prices I get.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:08 PM

I've made my final decision.
I contacted a dealership and they said the part is discontinued but gave me a contact that may have one in stock. It was unpainted and they wanted $463.
I contacted several body shops and most would not touch it. One place said they would paint it for $250 - $300 and no guarantee.
A guy I found on craigslist said he'd do it for $300.
I ended up buying a painted grill for $382 - thats with 2 day shipping.
I hope this is helpful for anyone thinking about this upgrade in the future.

Quick Reply: How are those painted grills holding up??