PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do Transfer Cases work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default How do Transfer Cases work?

Since apparently mine hasn't been working right for months, maybe a year or so now that I see it doesn't fishtail anymore [:@]I have some questions about the T-case.

My first question is does the T-Case ONLY function to transfer power to all 4 wheels, or is it engaged all the time to transfer power to the rear and then when you lock 4WD, it becomes fully active?

When you engage 4WD and all 4 wheels are locked, does that also turn the front differential off?

Also, I always complained that my H3 tires were bad, but now that the t-case is working properly again, it seems it was the power transfer problem the entire time (months) and power is actually going to the front wheels again where there was no power going to them at all unless I locked in 4WD. Now, I can feel the difference dramatically in the snow and rain and no longer have fishtailing or wheel spinning issues.

That being said, does the t-case transfer power to the front wheels ONLY when needed or the rear wheels slip, or is the 60/40 split active all the time? If it is, then it sure wasn't before I got it fixed. That's dissappointing to know it's been like that for months and I didn't know there was a problem.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: How do Transfer Cases work?

An AWD T case is always TRANSFERS power from the transmission shaft to a front and rear output shafts. A two speed T case has a Hi and Low set of gears.

All-wheel drive (AWD) is often used to describe a "full time" 4WD that may be used on dry pavement without destroying the drivetrain (It should be noted that "Full-Time" 4WD can be disengaged and the center differential can be locked, essentially turning it into regular 4WD.
AWD can be used on dry pavement because it employs the use of a center differential so to speak (think of it like a series of clutches), which allows each tire to receive different amounts of power. This eliminates driveline binding, wheel hop and other driveline issues associated with the use of 4WD on dry pavement.

When you Lock the H3 T case it becomes a 4WD, and is now locked front to rear 50% - 50%. Hence the O Manual provisions on limits of speed and restristions on use on pavement driving.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:34 PM

Try this link, it'll save me fromtyping it all up.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...ork/index.html

The H3 uses a full time (all the time) engaged t-case that varies the power split depending on which 4X4 mode you choose. Of course the other duty of the T-case is to turn the power around and send it to the front wheels. The H3 uses all kinds of other gadgetry to apply brakes to spinning wheels and moniter wheel slip but the job of the T-case is still the same.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 AM

I thought I was having valve noise and the service advisor told me the rocker arm in H3 might be the problem. After being at the dealer for 7 days the word just came down that the problem is a bad gear in the T-case.

I'm surprised...I would have bet money on the problem being valve related.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:05 PM

Rocker arm? Transfer Case? Those two things are so different mechanically how in the world could they mistake one for the other? A bad T-Case will let you know it's bad in rapid fashion I can assure you. And the sound it makes will not be anything like a bad valve train, especially when a gear spins loose and drops a mountain of metal into the case pan!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed. Not sure how you could mistake a T-case issue for a valve issue.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:27 AM
Banned

Tcase related to Valve train noise. That was straight from the twilight zone!

Old 11-11-2013, 06:04 AM

how does one find these 5 yr old threads? why? if no question relating to them?

Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Banned

Using the search engine...

Old 01-03-2014, 02:53 PM

Can i lock out or disable the 4 wheel drive in my 06 H3?

Quick Reply: How do Transfer Cases work?