PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hitch Receiver Height?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by JThomasLambert
The Blue Ox is actually rated at 10000# towing and 1000# tongue weight so cut in half, it's 500#. Still--I find it REALLY strange that they don't make mention of this anywhere on their website, in their install instructions, or in their product catalogue. Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
If using a drop hitch bar would always cut its tongue weight in half, would not the mfr. put the appropriate rating on the bar? What purpose would it serve anyone to put 1000# tongue weight indicator on the drop bar only to expect every user to divide it in half? There would be no other way to use a drop hitch, except as a drop hitch.

I would think that the physics of the drop bar setup creates extra pressure on the receiver in the form of leverage (pry bar) and would effectively reduce the vehicle's receiver tongue weight rating.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:47 PM

I am using only about 1" of drop. I launch my 18' boat across the beach here where we have about a 6' tide. I have mounted a 3rd wheel on the tongue by using a spare hub and tire carrier and mounting it upside down and installing a golf cart wheel. The high tongue helps load the boat and gives my third wheel clearance. My method is as follows for getting the boat in.

I crank the boat up on the trailer (can't back in far enough to float on) leaving it about 1' short so there is almost no tongue weight.
Then I lift the trailer off the ball and set it down on the third wheel.
I drive the truck up the beach to the hard dirt above the storm tide line.
Then I attach as many of the five 25' chains I carry and the trailer pulls right up.
Then I lift it back on the ball (remember no tongue wt) and crank up the boat the rest of the way.

I did this last year with a Land Rover Discovery II and this boat. This year the H3T might pull it up without disconnecting but you need the option for when the beach is very soft, the tide is rising and a storm is coming.

Attached Thumbnails Hitch Receiver Height?-hummerandboattopost.jpg   Hitch Receiver Height?-hummerandboatclosetopost.jpg