PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which of the 2 All-Terrain Tires is the better choice for my new H3T?
BF Goodrich TA/KO 295/75/16
30.77%
Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/75/16
30.77%
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 285/75/16
38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Help Me Decide on Which Tire for my H3T

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Default Help Me Decide on Which Tire for my H3T

I am pretty sure I have narrowed the choices down to either the BF Goodrich TA/KO or the Nitto Terra Grappler. Both would be in size 295/75/16 load range "D."

I live in Florida where we get alot of rain during the summer season so I want a tire that is dependable and safe driving highway speeds on wet roads. Since I won't be doing any serious "off-roading", I have pretty much eliminated the MT style tires from consideration.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 AM

I'm not sure how much research you've done so far, but after an extensive look at tires, I would suggest a couple more tires for you to look at before you buy. In my opinion, the top 3 aggressive A/T tires I found (in no particular order) are Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's, ProComp Extreme A/T's and the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs from your poll. The Duratracs are closer to an MT tire than you may be wanting, but they have excellent ratings for traction on wet and dry pavement.

I didn't look into the BFG's much, because I didn't like how they looked, but what I did read said they were a really good tire and after reading literally hundreds of tire reviews on multiple sites, I decided to stay away from anything that had Nitto on the side of it.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 AM

Toyo Open Country A/T tires should be on this list...

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-at

Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 PM

Could not find the Pro Comps in the tire size I wanted, either 285/75/16 or 295/75/16. Yes, as much as I hear good about the Nittos, I hear just as much bad. So no Nittos for me after hours of research. And since Toyo and Nitto are made by same manufacturer, I don't think I am interested in the Toyos either. I visited the FJ Cruiser and Tacomaworld Forum and they rave about the BFG AT/KOs. I wish I could bring myself to go for the BFG KM2s as I'd get the look I am looking for but not sure if it's the wisest tire choice for my needs. Anyone want to chime in on ride quality of the KM2 on the highway? How about the Mickey Thompson MTZs?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:51 PM

The Toyo's are actually a really good tire, but you also pay a premium for them compared to the other tires in it's class. As far as the KM2's and MTZ's, I thought you had decided against a mud tire since you won't be doing any serious off-roading? During my shopping I was leaning towards the MTZ's, but I quit lying to myself about how much time I was actually going to be spending off-road and went with the Duratracs instead. They have the look of a mud tire and the tread of an aggressive AT with tons of siping.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by H3DONIST
The Toyo's are actually a really good tire, but you also pay a premium for them compared to the other tires in it's class. As far as the KM2's and MTZ's, I thought you had decided against a mud tire since you won't be doing any serious off-roading? During my shopping I was leaning towards the MTZ's, but I quit lying to myself about how much time I was actually going to be spending off-road and went with the Duratracs instead. They have the look of a mud tire and the tread of an aggressive AT with tons of siping.
I am very familiar with the Duratracs. We have them on our FJ. I concur with your thoughts. I just don't want to kick myself in the tail in the end. I have read some saying the MTZs are fairly quiet for a Mud terrain. The Duratracs do have a noticeable whirling or hum sound at highway speeds and tend to like to find little ruts in the road or uneven pavement. To me, the Duratracs look more like a Mud Terrain than an all terrain. I am happy overall with the DTs but thought maybe I should try something else. Looks alone, the KM2s do it for me. Just trying to find the practical side of me. Same reason I see no reason to go for 35s although I do like the look of the 35s on the H3/H3T.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up going with the BF Goodrich TA/KOs in size 295/75/16. I couldn't be happier with the result. See my separate thread comparing thoughts on my GY Wrangler Duratracs and my new BF Goodrich TA/KOs. I should have pictures to post before the end of the weekend.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:45 PM

I always look for threades like this. I want an AT tire too but I can never find a clear description on noise comparisons. I can find reviews but they are different than actually hearing people who have had them their vehicle.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:24 PM

And here is how the Black Beast turned out after cranking the torsion bars to 23 5/8 inches, adding new Bilstein front shocks and Trail Duty 1/2" bump stops, and the final touch: BFG AT/KOs 295/75/16.Name:  H3Tetal003.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  139.4 KB
Name:  H3Tetal002.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  153.9 KB
Name:  H3Tetal004.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  137.9 KB

Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 AM

Your truck looks great. I like the blacked-out look.