PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I modify Onstar to use my cell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Default Can I modify Onstar to use my cell?

Hi guys,

I have a 06 H3 and it came from the factory with all the Onstar stuff. I am on the free trial now and don't even know what the hell it is supposed to do. I guess it calls the police if you crash.

Anyway, is there anyway to use onstar with my cell? I don't want to pay for the service, but like how it turns off the radio and has hands free capability. Sucks, because we have to pay for all equipment for a hands free setup, but then you can't even use it unless you pay Onstar.

Thanks

Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 AM

That 'Billy Mays' tv pitchman guy is always talking about a device called 'Jupitor Jack'. You plug a small transmitter into your cellphone jack, tune your car radio to a specific radio frequency, and your cell works through the radio. Fox 2 news did a report on this thing, and they said it worked. I've seen them in stores. $20 bucks.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:25 PM

It is possible to do this you need to replace the VCIM (voice control interface module) basically the onstar module from a gm vehicle that has Blue tooth so a 2009 or later. You can buy a blue tooth Onstar Module from GM the part number is "20783877 ON STAR MODULE WITH BLUE TOOTH" its about $275.00 I think this is a Cadillac part number so Escalade. but here is the rub recently GM stopped leting people buy these online so its local dealer only and you must supply a VIN number and a BS story as to what happend to the original. Or try to find one in a junk yard, but the junk yard option will cause your car to assume the identity of the donor car for onstar operators until it is reset by you service department. Delphi makes an add on module according to there website
http://delphi.com/manufacturers/auto...th_con_device/

But I have yet to find anyone at GM that will admit it exsists, they all claim ignorance about it. The problem is that it you have Blue tooth in you car that can interface with your cell phone you will probably cancel your Onstar subscription thats what the people who did manage to get the onstar module mentioned above did and Onstar is loosing to many customers.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:31 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I am not going to pay that much. Just sucks that I have it and can't use it. I will probably disconnect the thing. I heard the police and FBI can tap in.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 PM

When u got ur free trial with onstar u shoulda gotten 30 free minutes of call time and they will give u a phone number to call directly to the hummer and they give u a option to buy an extra 150 minutes i think for like 20 bucks.thats what they did 4 me anyways call them and find out.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 PM

When I had OnStar I liked talking into the speaker in the headliner and listening through the radio.
Truth is I hardly used it.
I bought a Garmin GPS with blue tooth and it is portable in any car I use, rentals and friends cars, works great.
This GPS also transmits through the radio for the directions, that doesn't work so great.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hondo Hummer
When u got ur free trial with onstar u shoulda gotten 30 free minutes of call time and they will give u a phone number to call directly to the hummer and they give u a option to buy an extra 150 minutes i think for like 20 bucks.thats what they did 4 me anyways call them and find out.
yeah, they gave me 30 minutes, but i use my cell. I tried Onstar once and it asked for the phone number. Hell, that is what speed dial is for.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chameleon
When I had OnStar I liked talking into the speaker in the headliner and listening through the radio.
Truth is I hardly used it.
I bought a Garmin GPS with blue tooth and it is portable in any car I use, rentals and friends cars, works great.
This GPS also transmits through the radio for the directions, that doesn't work so great.
What Garmin model do you have? I also have bluetooth, (Garmin 265W), and it does work great, but, it doesn't transmit through the radio.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Default onstar

If you have verizon and you use the right phone, you can set it up with your hands free.

The best route is to just replace the factory radio head unit with a nifty aftermarket one that does it all and sounds better.

I replaced mine with kenwood dnx8120
blue tooth
dvd player
backup camera
gps with text to speach prompts
plays data dvd & cd's
flash drive compatible
satellite radio
ipod access

the newer models have voice activation.

I put about $1200 into my complete system, then turned around and sold the factory stuff for $400 on ebay. so I got a much better system for $800.

Stealthbox subwoofer
High end speakers
& everything works, onstar and all.

Quick Reply: Can I modify Onstar to use my cell?