PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Can I modify Onstar to use my cell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM

Looks like the BlueStar 2010 is the way to go, but of course it's backordered.

http://www.costartech.com/

Old 02-11-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
What Garmin model do you have? I also have bluetooth, (Garmin 265W), and it does work great, but, it doesn't transmit through the radio.
When you use speed dial you have to store the number before you can use it, right? With OnStar you say store and it says number please, you say the numbers it is repeats it back to confirm it. Then it asks for a [name tag]. You say a name like [expletive] (that's my ex wife) and it repeats it back and says "yes or no". You say yes and it stores it. Then every time you want to make a call you press the button on the rear view mirror and say "call". It says "name tag please" and you say "expletive". Then it says, "calling [expletive]" in your recorded voice. If you can't remember that you just say "help".

I get the Safe & Sound package on all my GM cars for $18.99/mo, but my car insurance company gives me a discount because I have OnStar that comes to about $15/mo, so I pay $4/mo. Here is what I get for $4/mo "Automatic Crash Response, Emergency Services, Crisis Assist, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Remote Door Unlock, Roadside Assistance, Remote Horn & Lights, OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, Hands-Free Calling." I think it is worth more that $4/mo. The other day at the car wash the attendant locked my keys in the H3T. I could have called the Auto Club and waited an hour for them to send a lock smith, but I just called OnStar and it took a minute.

I also like the fact that the police can disable the car through OnStar since I do not plan on committing any felonies and/or getting into a high speed chase.

What I really like us before July 2009 you could set up the OnStar system as a cell phone on your Verizon family plan. For $10/mo I can make unlimited calls to Verizon cell phones using the speaker phone in the car or use my family plan minutes. That's a sweet system. The best part is that since OnStar used an external antenna and a higher power amp than hand held cell phones, it provides about twice the range of a hand held cell phone, so when I'm in a weak signal area and my hand held cell phone gets disconnected or the quality is bad, I just use the OnStar phone.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 PM

The H3 does not have the slow down feature they can only track it if stolen. the slow down feature is only being used in certain model cars not every 1 w/ onstar

Old 02-13-2010, 07:02 AM

I just scored the Onstar VCIM with bluetooth off Evilbay for $125.00 now I need to order the antenna for the bluetooth part. The part is new never installed so Onstar will think my H3 now has 0 miles on it. I have read on other forums that a call to onstar will take care of the bad info from the VCIM. I got the free 30 minutes from Onstar when I activated the 90 day trial they also gave me the option to buy an additional 100 minutes for $14.95 which I bought so I think that I will burn up those minutes first before I install the new part. I think that being able to pair my own phone with the Onstar system is better than buying minutes from onstar I don't need 2 phone numbers and while my kids think that the H3 having its own phone number is cool i don't need a cell phone that only is good when I am in my truck. On another note my XM started working the other day didnt know why then this morning I got an email saying that they have started my 90 day free trial I didnt sign up for a 90 day free trial

Old 02-13-2010, 09:30 AM

onstar told me that I have to get a second line through verizon, what if I had AT&T then what

Old 02-19-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Racer
I just scored the Onstar VCIM with bluetooth off Evilbay for $125.00 now I need to order the antenna for the bluetooth part. The part is new never installed so Onstar will think my H3 now has 0 miles on it. I have read on other forums that a call to onstar will take care of the bad info from the VCIM. I got the free 30 minutes from Onstar when I activated the 90 day trial they also gave me the option to buy an additional 100 minutes for $14.95 which I bought so I think that I will burn up those minutes first before I install the new part. I think that being able to pair my own phone with the Onstar system is better than buying minutes from onstar I don't need 2 phone numbers and while my kids think that the H3 having its own phone number is cool i don't need a cell phone that only is good when I am in my truck. On another note my XM started working the other day didnt know why then this morning I got an email saying that they have started my 90 day free trial I didnt sign up for a 90 day free trial
please let me know how this goes.
I want to do the bluetooth on mine too

Old 02-20-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by CS_ADVENTURE
please let me know how this goes.
I want to do the bluetooth on mine too

I pulled the one ouf of my buddies 10 CTS and installed it and it worked... it's all in the HW/SW on the VCIM , but now I can't get a dealer to sale me one! Where did u find it on ebay? (Evilbay) LOL What did u search for?

Old 02-20-2010, 09:53 AM

I work in parts for a gm dealer. I'm going to call the place we get them from next week and see if I can order the 09 VCIM or if its on restriction

Old 02-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Kramcard6 I had a search set up to look for Onstar it returns a lot of rear veiw mirrors but the VCIM is in there to. The one I scored was only listed for a couple hours before I hit the "Buy it now" button, I was lucky, it came from an auto part distrbutor in Michigan

Old 02-21-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Racer
Kramcard6 I had a search set up to look for Onstar it returns a lot of rear veiw mirrors but the VCIM is in there to. The one I scored was only listed for a couple hours before I hit the "Buy it now" button, I was lucky, it came from an auto part distrbutor in Michigan
So have u called OnStar and had them update it yet? Also does your pre paid minutes and paid subscrition also go with it? ive paid for 2 years of OnStar and i've got 956 minutes , i'd hate to lose those.

Quick Reply: Can I modify Onstar to use my cell?