PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Mirror Elements

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Default Heated Mirror Elements

If any of you are looking to install heating elements in the rear view mirrors, there's a listing on ebay with some decent size ones that will fit our mirrors just about right. I'll post some pics when I get them in the mail.

UNIVERSAL MIRROR GLASS DEFOGGER - HEAT GRID 7.8 x 5.5 | eBay

Old 11-17-2011, 03:42 PM

And how do you remove the glass?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Well the tool that owned my hummer before me scuffed up the mirrors from scraping ice off i assume, so it gave me a good excuse to order new glass for them.

So i have the new glass which will save a step of trying to be super careful with the old ones. There's a thread posted somewhere about installing the elements but it's lacking on removing the actual glass from the mirror housing. I'll post some tips/pics once I get ***** deep into it. Pretty sure if you pull hard enough the glass with plastic surround will just pop out.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by V8-H3
And how do you remove the glass?
It's more involved then just removing the glass. You'd have to remove the entire mirror assembly from the door, and remove the door trim panel, so you can run the power leads to the heater grid.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned
Default how to beat the ice

1 guess right!, and tie a plastic bag on them,toss it.

2 patience,if stuck with ice layer,lay a towell over them and bring it thru the open window,block it over the vents and run air full blast for a few min,not long. plastic bag might work here too.

3 remember if u screw up u buy a whole new mirror,spensive

Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by heyttsguy
Pretty sure if you pull hard enough the glass with plastic surround will just pop out.

Angle the mirror glass all the way down (top out) and use something to pry up on the bottom, it'll just pop off. I use my pry bar with some duct tape on it, works fine.

Doing the elements is going to be a pain, getting the wires through the door and keeping the waterproof seal is the issue. I did Muth mirrors (not heat but signal) on my '09 CE, turned out great but I won't go through it again.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:49 AM

well first of all, not having heated mirrors in a vehicle you drive in canada is an absolute absurdity, my '97 avenger even has heated mirrors, don't know what gm was thinking there.

second, i'm not too afraid of installing the heating grids, anything i've done to this thing i've done myself and if someone is afraid of taking some door panels off and running some wire then frankly you should trade in the hummer for a honda civic. lol

Old 11-18-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by heyttsguy
second, i'm not too afraid of installing the heating grids, anything i've done to this thing i've done myself and if someone is afraid of taking some door panels off and running some wire then frankly you should trade in the hummer for a honda civic. lol
Hopefully that remark wasn't directed at me. If so:

Not that I feel the need to justify myself, but my comment about not doing the muth mirrors again didn't have anything to do with being afraid, it is just a pain and too time consuming and I wouldn't do it again. Just "pulling the door panel off and running some wire" will result in the issue my H3 number 4 had (from a dealer add-on alarm), poor sealing that will likely result in premature door bottom rust. To do things right, there are connectors to be drilled out to allow the wires to be passed through and sealed. Again, time consuming and a pain. If you go to the Muth website, you'll find installation instructions that will likely be helpful to do the heater wires properly.

And hopefully you won't just "pull hard enough" on the mirrors, since that would likely break the mirrors and the motor mounts behind them.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing your write up after you get it done.