PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights-aftermarket options

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 05:30 PM
Default Headlights-aftermarket options

What are you guys running for aftermarket headlights? My 24 volt military LED lights just don't have the output. I just dealt with it but now I'm looking to replace them with something else.

I know some members have gone with the JW Speaker 8700's without issue. Question is, for those of you who are running these did you have to modify the rear of the headlight bucket or did the lights fit without issue?

I actually really like these:

Amazon.com: Brightsky 2PCS 7inch 75W White Xenon Phillips LED Round Headlight Offroad Car Lamp: Automotive Amazon.com: Brightsky 2PCS 7inch 75W White Xenon Phillips LED Round Headlight Offroad Car Lamp: Automotive

However, they have brackets molded into them I guess if you wanted to mount them with the included bracket. I don't think they will fit in the headlight bucket once it is assembled. I really don't want to cut up the rear of the bucket or the lights to make them work.

Show me what you guys are running and let me know if you have to made any modification to make whatever light you're using work.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-13-2015, 08:44 PM

In for answers.
I'm really, really disappointed with the stock headlights. I feel like I can't see very much at night & driving back from New Orleans puts me in a solid 10+ mile stretch with no lights. I don't feel I can react.

That said, they are a lot cheaper than projection lighting like this ($1000 basically).

Unfortunately, those headlights aren't DOT legal.
Any DOT legal options?

Old 09-14-2015, 12:11 AM

The big boob projectors just aren't a good look IMO. Plus the price on them is a joke. Really any 7" round light should work, however the back may be the issue on some of the lights.

I know the Phillips LED ones I posted aren't DOT legal but there seems to be people running them without issue. If they fit the bucket I would run them but I was hoping someone had them and would chime in.

I'm still looking around at options. I was the change the LED heads I have but I also don't want to spend $5-600+ on a pair of lights.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:07 AM

7" truck lite LED is what I have. They work and look great.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
The big boob projectors just aren't a good look IMO. Plus the price on them is a joke. Really any 7" round light should work, however the back may be the issue on some of the lights.

I know the Phillips LED ones I posted aren't DOT legal but there seems to be people running them without issue. If they fit the bucket I would run them but I was hoping someone had them and would chime in.

I'm still looking around at options. I was the change the LED heads I have but I also don't want to spend $5-600+ on a pair of lights.
Yeah, the price is a joke.
I still can't wrap my head around how they justify $1000.

I'll be following the thread. I really need something new.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:44 PM

I have had a sickness for lighting the last year, I've only played with a couple different options. First I ran some plug and play led lights in the stock housing, the output was awesome up close but they lost there power very quickly (I assume because they were not aimed perfectly for the housing) They were not the lifetime leds that everyone was talking about a while back but a cheaper brand I believe It was NewBrights on amazon. If the road you were on has fairly new painted lines on the road they worked well, the light would reflect off lines but you couldn't see the road in between until later. Side notes the 9007 housing has that chrome arm that covers the filament from oncoming traffic and since the led had a downward firing led that acted as the high beam, the high beam was useless it because it shined directly into that arm. The plastic retainer ring that screws onto the bulb was stretched after using this setup and caused an average bulb to wiggle in place. Second I used a high wattage 9007 bulb. 85 watt compared to 65 watt. The light reached further than the leds (What I was going for). My only concern was the heat in the housing, They got hot but I've had the stock bulbs out for so long I didn't remember if it was in excess. The only option I haven't tried is Hid, but as stated above $$$$$$. I've found 7 inch projector housings on eBay and I emailed the seller to see a picture with the shroud removed, to compare to the knock-off projector housings.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:45 PM

very interested in this, I have been looking at the LED kits as well.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:17 AM

I've got trucklite led ones and very pleased. Model no 27270c.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Baldfox
I've got trucklite led ones and very pleased. Model no 27270c.
Could you upload a pic?
Also, did you have to do any wire modifications or was it plug n' play?

Unforuntuately, this discussion has really only gone places over on CHO.
A lot of people are leaning towards the Philips 7" 75 w that has 13 LED lights (5 for low beam, 13 for high beam).

I could find the lumen output for the Philips, but not the trucklite. For me, that'll be the determining factor. Both seem to have great light spread.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:58 PM

I bought the anti flicker harness that goes with them and spliced them into the existing wires as the connections to the original headlamps weren't very good. If you look on here there is another thread I did with the lights and pics. They're a crisp white and they are much better than the originals. I do notice at times a faint 'X' at the end of the beams that some people have moaned about but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

If you flash someone it's not instant to drop back down to low beam (although instant going to high) but it's only a small delay. Again no prob sat all for me.

Quick Reply: Headlights-aftermarket options