PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Half shaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Default RE: Half shaft removal

The stub comes with the entire shaft assembly, all you would need to slap it in is a 33mm socket to remove the nut that holds in the shaft. To pull out the shaft from your diff is a pry bar, it just pops out because all that's holding it in is a pin. kild1 pretty much explained it all in removing the shaft.

The day we broke it on the trail, we just removed the ball joint pushed the hub to the side and took out the shaft, we then had to pound out the shaft from the stub to put it back into the diff (this was so I wouldn't leak out any gear oil and to make sure no crap got into my diff) the hubjoint (stub) we left that in as well since it was already cracked.

Hacksawing that thing wouldn't have done it, usually if you remove a shaft you can still drive itjust not in 4 Wheel Drive, but for us that's not the case.Our H3's are"all wheel drive" I would've never been able to drive it home, the shaft would've been spinning and may have cause even more damage. Driving it was easy, although I could drive it in all wheel drive thevehicle would freak out after after going so may yards, had to drive it in 4high, got home safely ordered my part the next day and me and my friend Mike installed in a few hours.

You're lucky the dealership fixed it under warranty. The GM at my dealership knows how I drive my H3 and he would've known I was wheeling with it when it broke and I don't think he would've covered me this time [:@]

A friend of mine in another forum is always chatting with people from Hummer, he's going to mention this to them being it could be a manufacture defect.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Default RE: Half shaft removal

My dealer knew I was wheeling when I broke it. The mud on me and the snow still packed into the undercarraige told him. I also told me salesman while we were waiting for the prognosis. Acording to my dealer, you wouldn't have been warrantied because of the lift, but otherwise it would be no problem. The service manager also knows I have turned my torsion bars a couple of turns.
I did drive it out with it just sitting there turning. I drove 45 miles that way in high lock. I dont want to do that again, so that is why i want to know how to remove it for next time.
I think it's odd that you had to further dissassemble the halfshat to put the inner stub back into the diff. I would have thought there would be a shaft comming out of the diff that the ineer joint would attatch to. Good to know this too.
Since we are on the subject of repairs, does anyone know where to find a manual for any future "oops!"?