PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half Shaft Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:45 PM
Default Half Shaft Rebuild

Hey Guys,

Instead of spending a bunch of money buying 4 new half shafts, I'm attempting to rebuild my stock ones. I'm having one heck of a time finding part #'s for the internals (inner and outer cage, race and *****) since AM General lists them as non serviceable. I found this article on flashoffroad.com - http://www.flashoffroad.com/Maintena.../halfshaft.htm but Chuck that wrote the article does not specify if the Rockford part #'s listed are the correct internals for both the inner joints and outer joint. I know the boots are different which leads me to believe the internals of each joint will be different too. I contacted Rockford and they could not verify the correct parts. The only info they had were for the older style smaller and weaker half shaft Hummer used on the 93-94 trucks. Mine is a 98, so that won't help me. Stan at Rockford said it is very uncommon that the internals of both joints will be the same. I'm hoping someone out there has attempted to rebuild their stock half shafts and can help me with part #'s or even confirm if both joints look like they have the same size internals. If someone has a stock shaft, broken or not that they would be willing to take apart, even that would help me out. I just need to verify if what comes out of each joint looks the same. If I can get this info, I would be willing to post the correct part #'s after I rebuild my half shaft so that anyone in the future will have access to this information. I know there are guys out there that would love to rebuild a worn out half shaft and keep in their truck as a spare. Please someone help me out!

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Pm hummech

Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 PM

I found this on Flashoffroads site. I have purchased these part numbers and they are correct.

All parts for the half shafts are available through Rockford. The outer cv joint boot, Rockford DuraBoot 8l5-21L,. Inner boot Rockford DuraBoot 440-20, Cage 178-0, Race 178-018, ***** 714-61.

If you cross ref these parts on the Rockford site they are for a 1993-1998 Mercury Villager, ford Explorer and possibly a Nissan Quest. What this means is that you can buy a CV joint for one of these cars and use the parts to repair your halfshaft.