PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

half shaft boot replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Default half shaft boot replacement

I need to change out the boot on the outer end(the side that goes into the hub). Do I have to tear the whole half shaft down to replace that or is there a way to take that end off? I looked at flash but it doesn't have anything for that boot replacement that doesn't show taking the whole thing apart.

Any tips?

Thanks

Old 09-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Default RE: half shaft boot replacement

Todd check my post on the HML

Old 09-13-2008, 02:10 PM

Check out the halfshaft replace/repair article here:
articles on serious4x4.com
Short answer: you need to remove the outboard CV joint to change the boot.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:58 PM

Manny... I think you mean the inboard CV meaning the one closest to the differential to replace the boot.....

Old 09-13-2008, 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: phazer42

Manny... I think you mean the inboard CV meaning the one closest to the differential to replace the boot.....
Maybe I am confused, but I don't think so... he said "I need to change out the boot on the outer end(the side that goes into the hub)." So, I would knock off the outboard CV joint, and change that boot; why would you knock off the inboard joint? Then you would have to deal with both boots, instead of leaving the good (inboard) joint and boot alone... right?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:17 PM

Manny,

Correct.... the halfshafts that I have worked with make it very very very difficult to get the outter race off, which means you aren't getting the CV off. The inner CV is only held in by a simple snap ring, which is very easy to remove. Therefore, when I have a boot to replace, I always take the inner off regardless of the side the boot is damaged. I have talked to Scot at SAX and he told me, after my inquiree, that he typically has to cut the race for the outter to get them off the shaft.... This is ecause the race is held onto the shaft with tw snap rings. The snap ring near the end of the shaft was designed for the race to ride over it, and you have to pound the race over-top of it to get it off. If it doesn't want to cooperate, you are hosed and forced to start cutting.....

however, Charles mentioned on the HML that the early shafts don't have that snap ring on their inner CVs which would mean that they would be a nightmare to work on, from what I have experienced....

Old 09-16-2008, 11:48 PM

I knocked the outter off and it was simple. Got it changed in 15 mins.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:51 AM

sweet.... your luck is better then mine.... I have yet to get an outter off without destroying it....

Old 09-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Seriously, Scott? That is really strange I have changed a ton of them on my truck and on others' trucks and I have always been able to get them off I have never taken off an inner to do an outer. Sometimes it takes some big whacks from a BFH.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:00 PM

yup./... seriously.... I actually have 3 in my garage right now where the outers won't come off unless cut.... when I talked to Scot at SAX, he wasn't suprised so I figured this was somewhat "normal"

Quick Reply: half shaft boot replacement