PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3T Truck Tent

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Default H3T Truck Tent

In the area where I wheel my H3T we have rattle snakes and scorpions, so the wife and I are not keen on sleeping on the ground. I would like to get a truck tent for my H3T like these http://www.sportzbynapier.com/truck_tents.html but I can't find one designed for the H3T.

I would also get a air mattress that fits in the bed with the tail gate down. http://www.truck-bedz.com/

Does anyone know of a tent that fits the H3T bed or a functional alternative?

Old 02-21-2010, 11:25 AM

portager, honestly the H3T bed can't be that much different from other truck beds that Ive owned and seen... call the companies directly with your dimensions, or send them the dimensions via email... Im sure there is something that will work... If you go the route of having one made for you expect to spend more money...

Old 02-21-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA
honestly the H3T bed can't be that much different from other truck beds that Ive owned and seen... call the companies directly with your dimensions, or send them the dimensions via email... Im sure there is something that will work... If you go the route of having one made for you expect to spend more money...
I think you may be right! I found one web site that listed trucks that the tents fit and ones that were not supported. Hummer was not on either list, so they seam to have overlooked us. OTOH, the H3T bed is a non-standard width to fit the H3 cab and not the most common length. I'm sure you are right about the cost of custom work. I think a tent designed to attach to the Snugtop Slant Back with the lid open would be slick.

Another option would be to mount a roof tent to the roof of the cab. Maybe something like this? http://www.eeziawn.com/rooftents.html ? My wife likes the shower skirt http://www.eeziawn.com/showerskirt.html .

A third option would be to go with a off-road capable trailer like this. http://www.adventuretrailers.com/horizon.html . One nice thing about the trailer is you could leave the trailer at a ventral location and off-road without it. A major disadvantage is backing up and doing multipoint turns on tight trails would be extremely difficult.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Yeah Id avoid the trailer like the plague...

Rooftop would be cool especially on the T you could eliminate the need for the ladder and just go in and out via the bed... but you could also go the route of the soft top for the bed and throw an inflatable mattress in that and call it a tent lol...

Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA

Rooftop would be cool especially on the T you could eliminate the need for the ladder and just go in and out via the bed... but you could also go the route of the soft top for the bed and throw an inflatable mattress in that and call it a tent lol...
Thanks for the response DAGKANA.

Unfortunately the mattress only fits with the tail gate down, so with the soft topper or any topper your feet would be sticking out.

I'm leaning toward the roof top tent (RTT). The truck tent looks cool but I'd have to take all my gear out of the pickup bed to make room for the mattress. That would get old on a daily basis. With the RTT you can mount it on the roof and later you could move it to a trailer, so you have more options.

The trailer has some advantages and some definite disadvantages. The trailer allows you to have all your camping gear in one convenient place and once you disconnect you're free of the height and weight and you still have your normal CG height. Also, the H3T can tow a lot more than it can haul, so you get your payload capacity back. The trailers are popular with expedition types because they can carry additional fuel and extend your range. They are also popular with people who like to do base camping and four wheel without the trailer/tent.

The roof top tent will prevent me from driving into the garage, unless I mounted it behind the cab. However, that makes it difficult to open the topper ... I think I'll get a light weight roof top tent and put all the rest of the gear in the pickup bed (Maw needs a frigarater, stove, kitchin sink and a hot shower or she ain't a go'in).

Old 02-23-2010, 03:08 PM

You could go the el' cheap-o route too with a cot-tent modified to be a truck top tent. You can pick them up from Bass Pro shops for a very good price.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/553143526nPpMwy

Old 02-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
You could go the el' cheap-o route too with a cot-tent modified to be a truck top tent.
Thanks for that Sugarphreak, but since the bed of the truck is going to be filled with gear that I'd have to move to set the tent, not to mention secure, I'm going to go with a Slant-back topper and hotels for the next trip.

The wife and I have decided to take a trip to Nevada over spring break and since the temperatures for that area range from 20F to 48F with a mean of 37F, the night time lows could be freezing. Therefore, we have decided to forgo the tents for a heated hotel room on this trip. This will differ my tent decision a few months at least.

By the way, I ordered the Slant-back yesterday and since I live in SoCal I'll get it in 2 to 3 weeks.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:05 PM

lol I thought the thread said H3T truck rent

Old 03-01-2010, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by portager
In the area where I wheel my H3T we have rattle snakes and scorpions, so the wife and I are not keen on sleeping on the ground. I would like to get a truck tent for my H3T like these http://www.sportzbynapier.com/truck_tents.html but I can't find one designed for the H3T.

I would also get a air mattress that fits in the bed with the tail gate down. http://www.truck-bedz.com/

Does anyone know of a tent that fits the H3T bed or a functional alternative?
Camp Right also has truck tents that might work. If you find one that works let us know I would be interested in one for my truck too.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Max01
Camp Right also has truck tents that might work. If you find one that works let us know I would be interested in one for my truck too.
We use our H3T to go rock hunting at very remote sites and generally travel solo (not many rock hounds have vehicles that can reach the remote sites that we visit and off-roaders get tired of waiting for us to dig). So I need to carry prospecting and digging equipment in addition to jacks, tools and spare parts. So the bed of my truck is going to be full of gear most of the time. I also decided to get a Slantback topper to protect our precious cargo when we stop and leave the truck (Slantback ETA <15 days, but who's counting).

If I use a truck tent I'd have to move all the gear to the cab or the desert floor (not to mention the topper) before I could set up the tent and inflate bed. Therefore, I have decided to go with a roof top tent instead (RTT). The RTT goes on a roof rack and there are several very light weight models that wouldn't shift the truck CG too much and make it tipsy.

Anyway I won't be reporting back on truck tents that fit, since I'm no longer pursuing this option. However, if others are interested in truck tents this thread could live on.

Quick Reply: H3T Truck Tent