PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h3t alpha mods/tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:32 AM
jcg
Default h3t alpha mods/tires

Hi everyone,

Im new to the forum. The posts have been great. I just got a new H3T alpha and ordered myself some 315 BFGs. Im putting them on the stock rims, which Im powder coating flat black. Also getting the leveling kit.

My question is about the spare. Im not sure I can get a full size 35 under the rear. I dont want a bed mount. If I end up needing a spare how bad is it for your diff if you end up using a 285 spare?

Any input would be great. I also plan to add the fox piggybacks and those ligthracing jounce shocks later on.

thanks again...

Old 08-24-2009, 10:30 AM

Congrats on the new T. I'd skip the "leveling kits" & just get the new shocks & bump stops, once you read all the leveling posts you'll see why. As for the spare all the tires need to be the same size w/ all wheel drive & the trac/stab system. Different sizes will cause 1 to be turning at a different speed which will cause problems.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:56 PM
jcg

Hey thanks for the reply. Well its to late, they are already installing the leveling kit. The guy told me it would be better than putting more stress on the T-bar. I dont know, Im new to this stuff. I hope I didnt make a mistake.

I also am having them put on the some addict wheels 17 x 9 with 315 BFG AT KO. I put up a pic when its done.

As for the shocks and bumps I will need to replenish the funds.

The guy told me if I get a flat while wheelin I can use the 33 spare if i only go a short distance and deflate the other tires enough. Is that true?

One other thing I was wondering about was slidders for the truck. What are people using as the H3 slidders are too short.

Thanks again

Old 08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
jcg

a before pic

Attached Thumbnails h3t alpha mods/tires-photo.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jcg
Hey thanks for the reply. Well its to late, they are already installing the leveling kit. The guy told me it would be better than putting more stress on the T-bar. I dont know, Im new to this stuff. I hope I didnt make a mistake.

I also am having them put on the some addict wheels 17 x 9 with 315 BFG AT KO. I put up a pic when its done.

As for the shocks and bumps I will need to replenish the funds.

The guy told me if I get a flat while wheelin I can use the 33 spare if i only go a short distance and deflate the other tires enough. Is that true?

One other thing I was wondering about was slidders for the truck. What are people using as the H3 slidders are too short.

Thanks again
I am telling this to help you. Who is this "guy"? Ask yourself. I am telling you he is full of bull deficant!!

Levelling kits are absolutely useless. They have NOTHING to do with the "stress" on the T bar. Adjusting the factory T Bolt keys will give you all the lift you need. You should have spent your levelling kit $$ on Bilstein Cognitos, and if you still wanted a firmer ride, the TD bump stops. http://www.trailduty.com/product_inf...roducts_id=486

NO you cannot run a smaller spare even a short distance. WTF is a "short distance"? Under 50 feet? H3 & H3Ts are full time AWD/4X4 because the T case joins the front and rear axel. If, I mean IF, the T case had a 2WD selection, then you could run a smaller tire on one side of the front for a while, but since you are always AWD, you cannot. Is your guy going to pay for the repairs to your new truck because you voided your warranty be listening to a Moron?

Rocky Road just came out with H3T sliders, they are on back order, and made up when you pay. As I understand it, 6 weeks or better of a wait right now. http://www.rocky-road.com/rockrail.html

IMHO, I wouldn't let your guy near my truck. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 AM
jcg

Thanks for the input.

So any suggestions then where to put the spare. Has anyone been able to fit a 35 under the bed? or do I need to make a bed mount.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:42 AM
jcg

Hey Doc,

I just wanted to thank you for saving me some coin... The guys hemmed and hawed about a special T-bar spacer and stress on the stock shock. But then finally said he wasn't sure.

I read the prior T- bar posts. Big help. I just wanted to ask you. Are the fox 2.0 piggy backs worth it compared to the bilsteins. It seeems having an adjustable shock might be helpful.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
NO you cannot run a smaller spare even a short distance. WTF is a "short distance"? Under 50 feet? H3 & H3Ts are full time AWD/4X4 because the T case joins the front and rear axel. If, I mean IF, the T case had a 2WD selection, then you could run a smaller tire on one side of the front for a while, but since you are always AWD, you cannot. Is your guy going to pay for the repairs to your new truck because you voided your warranty be listening to a Moron?
That's interesting. I just replaced my 265/75R16s (32" diameter) with 285/75R16s (33" diameter). The tire dealer told me I wouldn't really need to by 5 new tires because the original spare would do me fine to get to where I needed to go. He compared it to a car using a donut tire but he didn't mention the AWD aspect. Think I should go back and get the 5th tire?

Old 08-25-2009, 03:44 PM

I would....most people don't know that the H3's are an AWD/4X4 system....they think they run around in 2WD, like regular trucks.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 AM
jcg

Well I got the truck level with the T-bar and threw on the Additcts/BFGs. But when I was getting the alignment done, the guys brought me back and showed me steering fluid leaking down. So then straight to a GM dealership and replacement of the steering fluid pump/reservoir/tubing. All warranty but all very frustrating. Anyone have trouble with their steering fluid pump/reservoir yet?

Attached Thumbnails h3t alpha mods/tires-photo-3.jpg   h3t alpha mods/tires-photo.jpg  

Quick Reply: h3t alpha mods/tires