PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 vs. JK

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Default H3 vs. JK

Ok folks. This is a serious question. No Jeep flaming please. Just the facts. I am considering an off-road vehicle as my daily driver and to play with in on the trail to replace my Ram 1500. My top choices are an H3 or a JK. I like both for different reasons. I would like to hear from the experts who drive one of these to give me the pros and cons to help because I'm torn down thge middle on this decision.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Default RE: H3 vs. JK

I think that there will be a Hummer bias here, which would be expected. I myself have an H2 and wouldn't be caught dead in a POS Jeep![sm=joke.gif] But seriously. I would read as many post pertaining to this subject on this site and Jeep sites to arrive at your answer. Truely they are both awesome vehicles. One may be better in one situation and one better in another. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:16 PM

At a friends suggestion, I looked at the new 4door wranger before I purchased my H3. The only version that compared with the H3 would be the Shara package, which was about 34K. Basically, the H3 has more space, handles like a car on the streets, and can off-road with the best og them. Best of all, I got an 06 lux w/ sunroof w/ nav for 35K with 0%.

In my opinion, there was no comparison in the type of car.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:32 PM

I am definitely expecting biased answers from both sides. I've asked the Jeepers the same question. I've driven both and here is what I have so far:

Jeeps:
Seems to have more engine power
Can fully open and go topless
Lots of aftermarket goodies
Jeepers tend to get dirtier and play in the mud together more
Rougher ride

H3
Its a Hummer (even if it is 100% GM)
Much nicer styling
Much nicer ride
Is very capable on the trail

I'll spend about the same with either one I choose JK Rubicon or H3 Lux pkg.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:32 PM

I own one of each! I've had the H3 for over a year, and the JK for 2 months. I like my H3 better. It's much better on the highway, roomier and more solid than the JK. Both are great offroad, so that's really not an issue. I think the H3 has better, more distinctive looks than the JK.You can get the JK for less than the H3 in most cases. My H3 out the door with 6K in options was 40K. My JK (Sahara 4 dr) with 4 K in options was 33K. I really like them both, but usually opt to drive the H3 when I go to my garage and have to choose what I want to drive that day!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:47 PM

Interesting. If you can't decide, you should buy both. Hmmm. interesting? Perhaps I should follow suit. I get the H3 and the fiance drives her 97TJ, then we switch off. Problem is that she hates Hummers. Thinks they are yuppie-mobiles. She also thinks that anything other than a Harley is not a motorcycle. She is very opinionated and passionate about these things. I hope she also believes that any other man besides me is not a man.

Do your Hummer and Jeep in the garage fight when you aren't looking?

Old 01-05-2007, 01:51 PM

[/quote] I really like them both, but usually opt to drive the H3 when I go to my garage and have to choose what I want to drive that day! [/quote]

To me this begs the question " why did you spend 33k on vehicle that you like LESS than the one you already had?"

Not sending bad mojo ...Just curious

GH

Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM

They don't fight, but I came out and caught the H3 humpin the JK one morning! My wife thought the same thing about Hummers too until I took her over and we test drove the H3. Then she loved Hummers!

Old 01-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Default Don't ignore resale value

Depreciation's the biggest expense in most vehicles, but its often ignored by buyers. Though theH3 doesn't have much history yet, it looks like it'll command a very high used car price compared to Jeep products. If you keep vehicles for less than 6 years, resale value can have a huge affect on totalcost-to-own.

Beyond that, also consider that you can drive the H3 500 miles at 80 mph as comfortably as a big sedan, and turn it right onto the trail when you arrive. After 500 miles in Jeep, you'll need a chiropractor and long rest. I've got to admit, though, that I've seen two the new 4-dr JK,and theylooked sweet. Nice proportions, knd of like a Defender. Big question is whether it still beats you up on the road like the TJ.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Default RE: Don't ignore resale value

I would probably to a Smartbuy so after a few years, I'd walk into an H4T, maybe. The dealer told me that the H4T is going to be a reality in about 18 months. That is very exciting news to me.

The ride on the H3 is definitely smoother and nicer. The JK has widened the frame and it does ride pretty smooth, although still Jeepy. They are obviously trying to compete with the H3 directly. Even with the soft top, it is pretty quiet at highway speeds.