PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Offroading with automatic....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Default H3 Offroading with automatic....

How does the automatic h3 offroad? I don't offroad very often ( a few times a year ) but I really prefer manuals (been a jeep owner previously).

I have the option between a manual luxory package that I'll have to add a sunroof too for 1,000 before i pick it up (not 36" sunroof slightly smaller) or a automatic with the military tactical package on it.

Both are 2007 h3's.

Just curious how the h3 offroads with automatic transmission vs manual and vs wranglers.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Default RE: H3 Offroading with automatic....

The manual like i said is the luxory package while the automatic has just the military tactical package but nothing done interior.

Not sure if getting the sunroof added aftermarket is worth it or if anybody has done so.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:02 PM

big question is if they have teh adventure package? That gives you the rg warner 4: t-case and a locking rear diff. I do not have the locking rear diff as I will take the rubi if I think I am doing anything more than just trails. Honestly I was really impressed with the h3 withoutthe locking diff....never had a problem going anywhee I ever wated and I have taken it on some pretty technical obsticals. Plus the automatic tranny makes using BTM easier...once you master BTM especially with the traction control on teh h3 you will never need the locker and ill go anywhere!!

Old 09-22-2007, 05:14 PM

Why only two choices? Is that all they are offering? All that's in the budget? All that they have? If you are doing a lot of offroading, get the Adventure package with its rear locker. Tactical is just an appearance package, doesn't add hardware. Personally, I wouldn't trust an aftermarket sunroof, I'd go factory or none at all.

But, to answer your question - most of the guys I head out with have automatics and do very well. You can control the H3 easily witn an automatic, including doing some brake torqueing for control. In fact, I wouldn't of wanted a stick with the crawling I've had to do, I think it'd be tough when bouncing over rocks and trying to control the clutch. And from what I've seen the only advantage the Wranglers have had is a shorter wheelbase so they have better angles on some obstacles. Of course, I've also seen that short wheelbase work against them.
[/align]

Old 09-22-2007, 05:27 PM

all they have of the 2007's and what's in my budget.

I won't be doing a lot of off roading, just a few times a year. The sunroof would be added by hummer themselves (the dealer) so it's aftermarket but comes form them and their warrenty.... so not a huge issue.

I was told the tactical package includes some stiffer suspension but i don't know for sure.

Again it would be my first hummer so just lookin for suggestions.

I really like all the features you get with the luxory package for everyday use, makes it nice.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: alrock

Why only two choices? Is that all they are offering? All that's in the budget? All that they have? If you are doing a lot of offroading, get the Adventure package with its rear locker. Tactical is just an appearance package, doesn't add hardware. Personally, I wouldn't trust an aftermarket sunroof, I'd go factory or none at all.

But, to answer your question - most of the guys I head out with have automatics and do very well. You can control the H3 easily witn an automatic, including doing some brake torqueing for control. In fact, I wouldn't of wanted a stick with the crawling I've had to do, I think it'd be tough when bouncing over rocks and trying to control the clutch. And from what I've seen the only advantage the Wranglers have had is a shorter wheelbase so they have better angles on some obstacles. Of course, I've also seen that short wheelbase work against them.
[/align]
not to bash the H3, I love mine and will always own one..but the wrangler, especially the rubicon has MANY MANY more advantages than just wheelbase overthe h3!!! Comparing my(paid for by my bro) JK unlimited Rubicon to the H3 is a good comparison because the track and wheelbase is very similar. Here are the main advantages...first off, solid front axle is 1000X better than any IFS, add to that front AND REAR lockers, electric sway bar discos, an aftermarket that offers about 8 million parts to further enhance the already better than h3 off road capability....it's not even close as to which one is better as an off-road...on road and comfort te advantage sways to the h3 by a wide margin.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:58 PM

okay, maybe But at least the term "death wobble" applies to Jeeps and not Hummers. (not picking a fight, just having fun!) [/align]

Old 09-22-2007, 06:04 PM

I know bro...the death wobble is kinda fun when you get used to itMy dodge had HORRIBLE death wobble when I first got it...at 45 mph your azz was puckering like you were going 120

Old 09-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

I used to have the 5 speeds.... now I can't image driving anything buy an auto... especially with recent knee issues... those clutch pedals get heavy in traffic.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:24 PM

Yea, if i go with the stick I'm gonna have to have hummer put in a sunroof for me, which only takes a day or 2.

If i go auto I'd get the tactical package (like the looks)... but I really like the luxory package (monsoon sound system, leather seating, heated seats, 6 disc in-dash cd player etc).... which is a big reason why i'm leaning towards that manual (being it's the only luxory package i can get my hands on).

Quick Reply: H3 Offroading with automatic....