PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h3 key stuck in ignition what can i do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Default RE: my h3 dont want shift

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried to turn your steering wheel left and right, and make sure the steering wheel isn't locking your key in the hole because it's turned too much?

Try to wiggle your steering wheel back and forth and turning the key to take it out. See if that works.
yes the sterring is unlocked i can move the left n right good no turned much the car have 24,500 miles on it

Old 11-12-2007, 02:05 PM

[:@][X(]

Old 11-12-2007, 02:19 PM

Sounds to me like the brake interlock switch has stopped working. It's the switch that tells the shifter to unlock when you step on the brake pedal. Find the switch and you may find the problem.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:27 PM

thanks do you have idea where is the switch?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:52 PM

According to: http://flashoffroad.com/features/Trivia/trivia.htm

Shifter Interlock Is Not Fool Proof

The shifter interlock is a solenoid under the dash connected to the key lock and the shifter. The voltage from the brake light circuit trips it keeping you from shifting unless the brake is pressed.

Not foolproof at all:

Can be forced If the emergency flashers are on, when the flasher cycle is lights on, the interlock is tripped.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

According to: http://flashoffroad.com/features/Trivia/trivia.htm

Shifter Interlock Is Not Fool Proof

The shifter interlock is a solenoid under the dash connected to the key lock and the shifter. The voltage from the brake light circuit trips it keeping you from shifting unless the brake is pressed.

Not foolproof at all:

Can be forced If the emergency flashers are on, when the flasher cycle is lights on, the interlock is tripped.
ok i need remove the covers around the switch what is the emergency flashers ?

Old 11-12-2007, 03:02 PM

what i need to reset the system? when i buy this car have light damage in front the air bags are good now the car is fixed already

Old 11-12-2007, 03:05 PM

The Emergency flashers come on when you push the big triangle switch in the middle of the dash. It makes all four turn signals flash at the same time. I can't tell you anything more than what I have found on the net. Sorry

Old 11-12-2007, 03:07 PM

OHHHHHHH HAZARDS THANKS A LOT SIR

Old 11-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Somebody who is where it is still light outside and warm, go outside put you key in the ignition (don't start it), pull you front wiper / sun roof fuse -- tell me if your key comes out.

hummerhonduras - I am still unclear if your front wiper fuse was blown. It sounds like it was blown, then you replaced it, and now the fuse is not blown and your wipers and sun roof are functioning. If the fuse, wiper, and sun roof are functioning -- then you didn't have the same problem as I had.

I would replace the blown bulbs. However, it still concerns me that you have two blown bulbs at the same time. Unless you have been driving with on burn out for awhile, it seems rare that two would go out at the same time without something else causing it.

I have a little tool that I can place on my fuses that lights if the fuse is okay. This way I don't have to constantly pull fuses.

Once you have all the known electrical systems that you can easily get working, i.e., no blown lights and no blown fuses. Check all your systems. For example, radio, lights, wipers, turn signals, etc. You can say then that you have ruled out all these things. Now, you can look at other areas like "brake interlock switch". Hopefully, someone can help you down that path.

Quick Reply: h3 key stuck in ignition what can i do?