PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Hidden Winch Bumper Build.. Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Default RE: H3 Hidden Winch Bumper Build.. Pics!

I'm impressed...............very nice job!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: GarrettMoore

How do you access the clutch, and how do you get the line to spool in an orderly fashion?
Good questions!

I cut a notch in the top of the bumper (on the vack side). So I just reach around to engage or disengage it. It is pretty simple.

It spools visibly just like any other winch. You can see the line clearlythrough the roller fairlead to guide it however you like. I pulled out about 50 feet and winched in my wrangler as a test. It spooled allllmost as clean as the factory spool.

It is an XRC8 winch.

The winch itself sits perfectly between the frame rails. I did this for maximum strength. I could have gone higher, but it would have involved cutting the plastic radiator support, and I didn't want to do that.

Next project will be some custom sliders!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:28 PM

Very nice job! Are you sure there's a winch in there and not just a foot and a half of cable?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:49 AM

Wow, nice work you should sell as akit, I'd buy one.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

If I come by on Saturday can you make me one?Nice job, looks really good.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: 3hummers

If I come by on Saturday can you make me one?Nice job, looks really good.
Where are you located?

I have been getting a ton of interest on this bumper from various webforums. I was thinking about putting together like a 5 bumper group buy. It would be great for an independent Hummer owner to stop by and give their opinions.

I have researched every winch mount on the market for H3's, both hidden and exposed, and I think I could price mine more than 30% lower than the least expensive hidden bumper and price it at or lower than theexposed mounts (similar to the steelcraft one).

Old 04-17-2008, 11:45 AM

Really good job! Love to see what real 4x4 owners are capable of. Does the plate need any reinforcement behind to keep it from warping just in case you get too much pull on?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

That's nice....

Thanks for sharing...

Old 04-17-2008, 01:07 PM

Git out of the 3 Hummers, I was going to ask the same thing except I will be there Friday! Awesome job and it looks great. Lost the inch and then turned right around and got it back. I am envious of a bunch of yall as you have some skills on this board. I am a business man and boy if you were close and would make some of theseI sure in the heck would jump in there with you! I would naturally have to see if it would fit and would volunteer my H3 as I noticed your H3 is white and black may be different! So with that being said send me one and I can check it out for you.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:13 PM

Actually, I'm under contract on a house inCharlotteand will be movingas soon as my house sells.

I'm still trying to figure out all of the logistics. I'm wheeling the H3 and my jeep this weekend, so hopefully it will give me more test time on the trail.

Quick Reply: H3 Hidden Winch Bumper Build.. Pics!