PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Frame & GM Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Arrow H3 Frame & GM Colorado

Ok - I am so tired of hearing people around me give me sh*t for buying an H3 and say that I could have save a ton of money and just buy a Colorado. What the hell is the deal with this? Are they right? Did I just **** away money on an SUV that's got a Bull S. name tag of H3 on it?

If you listen to the dealer they say that the frame of the H3 has the same dimensions as the Colorado but that's where the similarities end. If you look on the Internet - a number of sites say that it's the SAME frame...

WHAT THE F**K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tired, Pissed, Confused, and (OH yeah) the Hummer dealership I bought my H3 from just closed... Really nice don't you think... What else is to go? My warranty? The engine? Who knows - maybe I can just harvest parts off the Colorado...

Supremely pissed

Old 06-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Welcome to the group. Now, calm down! They are built on the same base frame. The H3 has many upgrades to it though. There are more cross beams and suspension equipment. I owned a Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 and believe me there is no comparison. The H3 is better on and off road. The ride is better and higher. The best way I can describe it is the H3 definately feels more SOLID. There use to be a web site (it might have even been Hummer.com) that would show the differences. They were extensive. Don't listen to your people giving you crap.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 PM

For 3 years I have been listening to the same and similar crap from the uneducated non-owners who I really believe just have Hummer Envy. I have driven a Colorado before and believe me, there is no comparison in ride quality and build. I firmly believe the H3 is exceptionally well built. It is solid and quiet on the open road. After 3 years, I hear no rattles or squeaks (bear in mind up to now it has seen only black pavement--soon to change). My fuel economy has been the same or better than any other SUV I have owned (Ford Explorer, Honda Passport, Toyota 4Runner to mention a few) averaging 15mpg around town and 20mpg on the highway. Enjoy your vehicle and quit sweating the small stuff.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:01 AM

Not sure if it was on this forum or the other hummer forum but there were pictures posted of both frames and no they are not the same! Well, if you could get a Colorado with front and rear lockers and 33's from the factory then maybe i wpould have a colorado but you cant so i got an H3

Old 06-09-2009, 11:31 AM

It's also hard to deny the fact that a pickup platform is a much better design starting point for an off-road vehicle than a sedan or minivan.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:48 PM

As a former Colorado owner, I'll give my thoughts. The engines are pretty much identical. When the H3 was upgraded, the Colorado was too: 3.5-3.7 and then V8. I was always under the impression that the frame was the same size. Hmmm what else...the colors are similar in variety. My Colly and H3 are the same color I believe.

Some differences:
H3 is full time 4-wheel drive
H3 has a WAY BETTER interior build
H3 is much quieter on the road-I spent about $200 on sound deadening and never got close to this.
The seats are simply better. Lots of guys bought H3 seats and rigged them for their Colorado.
The H3 takes bumps and holes much better.
The base H3 sits about where my Z71 did after I installed larger tires and t-bar crank. Did a few turns on the H3 and am now about 2 inch higher than that.
Approach and departure angles are better with the H3-no overhanging bumpers.

I've only had mine for 2 weeks and am no expert, but those things stick out. In short, they really aren't the same. Go test drive a Colorado and see what you think. I really liked mine, but it's not an H3.
Name:  100_0991-1.jpg
Views: 3963
Size:  34.4 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 3708
Size:  66.1 KB