PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frame question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Default frame question

On the underside of the H2, just in front of and behind the transfer case are two cross-members for the frame.

the one in front of my transfer case is welded to the main forward/back frame rails. The one behind it is not.

Will it cause any problems if i have the rearward one welded to the frame rail?

Old 10-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Default RE: frame question

why would you want to do that? it's not welded for a reason, and on this frame, it's most likely a very good reason. i would not recommend making frame modifications.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:43 PM

now that i think about it, that rear frame rail may be the one with the torsion bar adjustments. if it is, in order to take off the torsion bars, that frame rail needs to come off. i'm not in town, or i'd check the shop manual to be sure. anyway, i'd recommend you not do it.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:23 PM

hey shorty, thanks (as always) for the feedback. i'd be alot dumber if you didn't post here.

in this case i know my description is crappy, and i have no camera for pics, but this piece is (i'll check in a couple minutes) welded to the frame already, just a little overhang isn't welded. The other thing that has the two bolts you turn to raise/lower the torison bars isn't the thing i'm talking about,t his is the one right behind that item. big cross-member.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:40 PM

ok, i had a look and i wonder why those bottom tabs aren't welded as well. but still, unless you just need practice welding, i don't think it would provide any benefit, and may actually weaken the frame on the bottom. mine are starting to pull away from the frame because of collisions with boulders, so time to get out the dead blow and fix it. i just need a face shield to protect from all the mud chunks that will loosen and fall on my head . . . .

Old 10-20-2006, 11:41 AM

Yeah, you can weld those tabs to the frame.

It's not going to offer much benefit other than to keep them from bending more though because the main partof the crossmember is welded to the inside of the frame.

I've had to weld a few things back under there.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

ok, i had a look and i wonder why those bottom tabs aren't welded as well. but still, unless you just need practice welding, i don't think it would provide any benefit, and may actually weaken the frame on the bottom. mine are starting to pull away from the frame because of collisions with boulders, so time to get out the dead blow and fix it. i just need a face shield to protect from all the mud chunks that will loosen and fall on my head . . . .
thanks shortie. Those things are going to (sooner or later) catch on somethign and get twisted up, and i was thinking of some preventative medicine.