PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Faulty Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Default H3 Faulty Temp Gauge

I have a squiggly temp gauge on my dash cluster. Already replaced the the temp sensor. I found a replacement dash cluster but it has about 30k more miles than mine. My question is will my original miles copy over or will the the higher miles be showing up once I plug in the new cluster? Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Banned

1 probably not cluster

2 speedo is protected,mentioned in post about buying,,private party, display mite lockup.

Dont rush!!,,,from other post:

Make sure the IP cluster is working. It is almost impossible to change the mileage on the H3. There are ways, but very few know how, and I ain't talking). Most people will think of switching out the BCM. However, as dumb as the cluster is on the H3, if the little chip in the cluster ever sees a mileage number smaller than last displayed, it will lock up and the DIC will no longer work. (DIC - Driver information center at the bottom of the cluster.) The actual millage on any H3 is held by the BCM, the IP cluster is basically nothing but a dump display device; that is except for that little chip that looks at the last mileage when the vehicle is shut down and compares it to the next mileage shown when it is turned back on.

Last edited by drtom; 01-04-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Angry

Originally Posted by drtom
1 probably not cluster

2 speedo is protected,mentioned in post about buying,,private party, display mite lockup.

Dont rush!!,,,from other post:

Make sure the IP cluster is working. It is almost impossible to change the mileage on the H3. There are ways, but very few know how, and I ain't talking). Most people will think of switching out the BCM. However, as dumb as the cluster is on the H3, if the little chip in the cluster ever sees a mileage number smaller than last displayed, it will lock up and the DIC will no longer work. (DIC - Driver information center at the bottom of the cluster.) The actual millage on any H3 is held by the BCM, the IP cluster is basically nothing but a dump display device; that is except for that little chip that looks at the last mileage when the vehicle is shut down and compares it to the next mileage shown when it is turned back on.
DrTom I will have to read up on some of those posts you mentioned. I guess if it isn't the cluster than I will have to do some further troubleshooting. I just don't think it's fair if I replace it that I should go to the higher miles that the replacement cluster has. If I purchase a cluster with lower miles than mine it will lock up my DIC as you mentioned. Sounds like I'm screwed either way?? I appreciate you lending me a hand and en-lighting me on this as it could of been a terrible mistake on my end. Thanks for the info and any further advice is appreciated.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM

You state you replaced the engine coolant temp sensor at the back of the cylinder head? Not uncommon, I replaced mine with 8K miles on it.

Make sure the connector is tight and the terminals from the actual wires into the connector from the engine harness are tight and not loose inside the connector.