PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Factory Nav Question/Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Default H3 Factory Nav Question/Help

Hi,

i have a 06 H3 and would like to add the factory navigation....i have a few questions...

when i install the unit and gps antenna do i have to add a VSS wire?
if so is there any instruction on adding the VSS wire on the net?
im only asking b/c when i added the factory nav to my avalanche i had to add the VSS wire and i did find step by step instruction show where the easiest spot to tap the wire in was...

also will it be plug and play or will i have to go to the dealer?

also is there any sites that show a breakdown of the dashboard?

Thank you and have a nice day

Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 PM

I installed an OEM nav unit into my 06 H3 a few months ago. It was pretty easy except for finding where to put the GPS antenna... which I still don't have a clear idea of where its is supposed to go. There are only 4 things to plug in: the large group includes the VSS (which I think even the non-nav radios need for auto-volume increase when you go faster), another is the GPS antenna, the third is the xm / onstar, and then you have your trusty old AM/FM antenna plug.

For the GPS antenna: it mounts inside the dash. I found a place to the left of the air vent all the way to the back. There was an open screw hole... so I screwed it HA HA! I used a self-tapping screw and many drops later, finally wrangled by hands to tighten the GPS antenna in. If anyone knows where the GPS antenna REALLY belongs, I'd LOVE to know! I've read that double sided 3M automotive tape works well too...

Opening the dash is pretty easy. All you have to do is use your fingers in the 2 power outlets and gently push up a little for leverage and then slowly pull out. You'll have a mess of wires to disconnect from the A/C controls, power points, rear window washer and the transfer case switches. If you have an automatic, the shifter **** gets in the way a bit too. If you put the emergency brake on, turn the truck on and shift it into gear... like 1, then turn the truck off you have plenty of room to work with.

As for plug and play.... if you get a brand new radio from the dealer for about 17 hun, then it should be plug and play.. but if you get one from another vehicle it will have a security lock on it and the dealer will have to unlock it. My dealer charged me $80 or so. Each one charges a different amount and they vary widely!

Good Luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:07 AM

Thank you for your reply.....
i did it a few days ago and it was just as easy as my avalanche took about 20 minutes start to finish...i checked the wire harness and saw that the VSS wire was on there b/c i knew where it had to be on the factory harness...i just stuck the gps antenna up in the dash so it was secure and havent had any problems.....

as for the nav unit ...i got a brand new one off ebay with the gps antenna for $416 including shipping...it ended up being plug and play ...so i didnt need a trip to the dealer...

Thank you for you time in your reply