PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 COLD AIR INTAKE TUBE

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:56 AM
Default RE: H3 COLD AIR INTAKE TUBE

Man I think the Hunner is on to something with that hump coupler replacing the stock snorkel. I noticed that after I installed my K&N system onto my 3.7L that I got some vibration against the fender. I only noticed it when starting up a cold engine, it would buzz either when idling or when I dropped it into reverse to back out of the garage. I finally got rid of my buzzing by repositioning the breather box just a tad farther away from the inner fender well. The breather box has that cheesy really soft foam donut gasket around it and apparently it wasn't enough to dampen the vibrations from the cold engine.

I wasn't impressed with the diameter of the snorkel that penetrates the fender wall, it looked a little restrictive to me considering the size of the K&N black intake tube. The hump coupler that Hunner came up with seems to address both issues I've have with that part between the fender and breather box. I guess the only concern is without the flared end will a regular hump coupler be more prone to picking up any water than the stock inlet.

Hilljob, thanks for the dyno report brother, nice work. Your post re-enforced my belief that the HP gains the CAI tube systems claim are split between the improved filter and the removal of the intake resonator box. I don't recall if you have a PCM tweak plus a non-restrictive exhaust, can you post if you have the PCM and exhaust or just the intake.

You know the 3.7L stock is 242/242 and I'm guessing that with the K&N CAI, PCM tweak and Magnaflow exhaust that the HP is close to 290HP. Oddly enough that HP is very close to the Alpha's V8 HP ratings. I doubt the 3.7 could ever match the torque of the V8 but I firmly believe that with proper mods it can approach the V8's stock HP. I'm sure you could tweak the Alpha's V8 and make it even better as well, it may have even better gains with those same tweaks than the I-5.

I want to dyno my setup, I remember how lackluster the original performance was out of the box, it has so much more power and acceleration now with all the updates and it runs like it should. (Still, I wish the tranny was a 6 speed auto) I need to find a 4W dyno in the Dallas metro area, I bet 4WP's guys would know who's got one. Maybe when I get back home I'll give them a call. I'd love to do a dyno test with my big tires and another one with my stock 32s.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:05 AM

i only have a k&n filter and the tube,thats it

2 left

Old 11-11-2007, 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: hilljob26

THIS IS MY INTAKE TUBE THAT I MADE.IT WORKS QUITE WELL,HERE ARE SOME #'S FROM THE DYNO TESTING
it came in stock at 217 hp and 222 torque, this was the baseline basically
with just the k&n,it made 224 hp and 230 torque,=7hp gain 8 torque gain
with the k&n and the tube,it came in at 232 hp and 242 torque=15 hp gain and 20 torque gain
with just the tube it came in at 225 hp and 233 torque =8 hp gain and 11 torque gain
What dyno machine did you use? Were these numbers power at the wheels, or crank? If you are reporting 15whp with just an intake and a tube, then that is amazing and I will buy as soon as you show the chart!

Please post your dyno graph! I'm sure many here would like to see it.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:44 PM

i have no chart to post as when it was done,the guy gave me a piece of paper with those numbers and said it was at the wheels.sorry i cannot assist you further,ask some of the others that have gotten one and see what they think.i think it is great for the money

Old 11-16-2007, 07:34 AM

Hey Mike thanks for the quick delivery.

I installed the tube and I found that Autozone right down the street from me had one K&N filter in stock.
The hardest part of the install was keeping the chair from sliding away from me so I just climbed under the hood
I understand what you said about seat of the pants noticeability as far as power. It just feels better.
For some odd reason it sounds better too.

I am impressedthat such a small change was worth it.

Nova...

Old 11-16-2007, 12:33 PM

I put my K&N on yesterday. I got mine off of Amazon for $36.72 New, and shipping WAS included! It's the best price I've found. I'm love'n it!

Old 11-18-2007, 02:53 PM

You have a pm.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:48 PM

criuzer you get the last 1 that i have done,if anyone else wants one,i can make it as soon as you let me know