PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
16 City 20 Hwy
33.90%
14 City 18 Hwy
44.07%
12 City 16 Hwy
16.95%
10 City 14 Hwy
5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

H3 actual gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Default RE: H3 actual gas mileage

did you buy from Sac too? i thought there was a dealer in your neck of the woods. i just spent 3.5 hours there today, enjoying the scenery and getting a cracked manifold replaced (gotta love the extended warranty). tried to talk the mrs. into the yellow alpha softop pickup on the lot. i didn't think it was a funny question, but she sure did laugh a lot.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:49 PM

That was Brilliant Shorty..I never thought of the tire diameter being a major cause for the inaccuracy, nice catch!...The dealer can to calibrate, or at least it's doable..because how else are they calibrating for the two different tire sizes between the standard H3 packages and the Adventure packages?..275 to 285 is a pretty good difference to throw off calibration...So it must be done at the factory is my guess.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:18 PM

the dealerships can change the programming, but only to match the sizes they offer. they can go beyond that, but won't.

the rest, basic physics. it's just hard to get people to understand for some reason. if it's not complicated, for some reason nobody believes it.

and thanks, nice to see someone gets it.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:17 AM

I seem to be getting around 16.4 or so over all. it's about a 33/33/33 mix city/hiway/off road. I have had one fill up from just freeway miles, and that was 18+, but on the other end of the spectrum, I filled up, went fourwheeling, and then came back to the same station and filled up again and barely had a double digit number.

I don't complain too much about it.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:02 PM

so far i have not engine upgrades and i run bfg all terrain 285-65-18. i get around 14-16 in mostly city. but i'm going to florida at the end of the month so i'll post hwy mileage!

Old 05-12-2006, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

the dealerships can change the programming, but only to match the sizes they offer. they can go beyond that, but won't.

the rest, basic physics. it's just hard to get people to understand for some reason. if it's not complicated, for some reason nobody believes it.

Taller tires will throw it off but not enough to bring mpg down that drastically!! Easy way to find out is get a gps and zero out the mileage of both the gps and the trip odo. Take a 20 mile drive or so and see what the mileage difference is. On my Tahoe I went from stock 265 (I think) to 35's and my mileage was off by 2.4 mpg on a tankful.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:57 PM

Another way is to measure the height of the tires and multiply by pi on both tires and then look at the difference.

What you really want to be aware of is the actual vehicle speed. I had a stock 91 Toyota pickup and turned it into a Fabtech beast going from 28s to 33s and the end result was I was going 59MPH when the speedo said 50MPH. CHP made me aware of the problem one night in Canyon Country.

Old 05-12-2006, 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

ORIGINAL: shortbus

Taller tires will throw it off but not enough to bring mpg down that drastically!!
that's my point exactly. your computer may show a change in mileage, but in actuality the tire size change does very little to true mileage.

Old 05-12-2006, 05:35 PM

Shorty is right guys..The taller tires or larger in diameter will throw off you MPG by what the ODO says..Remember, the axles are still turning at the same rate compared to the stock tires calibration, this is as far as what the computer thinks....Hope I said that right.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:09 PM

Good thing here is resell. The mileage can be 10-15% less than reality. Of course no one here will buy mine now.

Quick Reply: H3 actual gas mileage