PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 Starter freezing in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Default H2 Starter freezing in cold weather

Hey guys I have a 2003 H2.

I have been having problems with my truck not starting in cold weather for years. I have replaced the battery (yellow top Optimum), new starter, plugs, wires, MAF sensor harness another new starter, etc.... I have a block heater, battery blanket, oil pan heater and battery tender/charge on it at all times.

Whenever it gets really cold, about -20 to 30 c it just clicks. I have to take a blow dryer to the starter to get it to start. After a couple minutes of heat it starts right up again. Also if I don't have the battery plugged in in the winter it will completely die overnight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2014, 02:40 PM

you have to have a draw on your battery for it to be completely dieing overnight, it must not have enough power left to turn the starter wwhen starter just clicks, im assuming all the connections are good on starter, battery cables etc, its hits down to minus 20 f here and good battery still doesn't die overnight, why this only happens to you only when its cold is a mystery to me, maybe gell type battery is the issue, I use interstate battery in all my vehicles and not a problem with sub zero temps, by the way what is the cold cranking amps of battery? might be to small of a battery?

Last edited by yoymon; 11-28-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:46 PM

Thanks yoymon

I had an interstate battery the first time and it did the same thing. This is the third battery I've had in it and second or third starter. I cleaned all the battery connections, starter connections and grounds and covered them with the electrical silicone. I thought I solved the draw problem when I removed the fuse for the rear ar bags when I put in the coil springs, but I guess not. I will probably have to take it to the dealership to see if they can find something for the draw. Like I said the starter just clicks but when I have the hair dryer to it for a few minutes it starts fine.....

Old 11-28-2014, 02:53 PM

hmm, finding the draw can be tough to, the starter must just turn easier when warm, my rear airbags are replaced with springs as well, im not sure if theres just one fuze for that or not, I removed the harness in the rear and disconnected the relay by the front drivers tire on mine to completely eliminate it, it also made the service air suspension warning go away after doing this, don't know if any draw could come from any of that stuff either way

Old 11-28-2014, 03:00 PM

one other idea for a draw is one time I put mine in park shut it off and pulled the key and opened the door to get out and the radio stayed on after I was out of the truck, like whatever switch or relay kills your power after you open door to get out of truck didn't do its job and everything still had power, just something to watch for to