PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H1 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Default RE: H1 Restoration

oh yea forgot to mention Injunfarian hes really good with the H1`s also

Old 03-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Not knowing exactly what your trucks need complicates things a little. Guessing that you want a total mechanical and cosmetic restoration the best H1 mechanic in the country in the opinion of many is Mike Sabrese at Tustin Hummer in Tustin, CA.( 714-669-3699 ) Lynch Hummer is the largest H1 dealer in the world. ( 636-777-7600 ) I know they do a lot of repair and mechanical work on H1s but they have never serviced or repaired a truck for me. Probably the largest, but not cheapest source for parts is Kascar ( 864-422-0370 ) There is also a private H1 shop in Huntington Beach, Ca called Hummer Solutions. I don't have that number with me at the moment but Mike Sabrese can give that to you also.
I assume that you want this all done fairly quickly which means not spending a lot of time searching for the best price on parts. I have bought a lot of H1 parts off of Ebay but you never know what is going to be up for auction. For example I just bought a turbo unit complete with wastegate for $400.00 on Ebay. It is a $1200.00 part if you have to buy it when you need it instead of when you can get a deal on it.
I am sure there are other places that can do the work but these are among the best. If you can put together a list of what you want done it will help them give you a better estimate. Given that these trucks are in Egypt any pricing you get will be an estimate. There are always things that come up that weren't anticipated.
If you have more questions re-post or PM me and I will do what I can to get you better answers.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:47 PM

Mike Sabrese would be a great place to start. People ship their hummers to Mike from all over the country for work to be done on them. Lynch is also a good choice. You could send it to Travis at Rubberduck4x4, but he would turn it into a gnarly wheeling machine -- far from stock.

ron b

Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 PM

TKF 430,,,,,,,,,,,,,IF MONEY ISNT THE OBJECT. I WOULD BUY A FEW NEW ONES AND HAVE THEM SHIPPED TO YOU. WHAT THE HECK,,,,,,,,,,
WELLCOME TO THE FORUM, AND GOOD LUCK,WHATEVER YOU DECIDE,,,,,,,,

Old 03-07-2008, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: 3hummers

Not knowing exactly what your trucks need complicates things a little. Guessing that you want a total mechanical and cosmetic restoration the best H1 mechanic in the country in the opinion of many is Mike Sabrese at Tustin Hummer in Tustin, CA.( 714-669-3699 ) Lynch Hummer is the largest H1 dealer in the world. ( 636-777-7600 ) I know they do a lot of repair and mechanical work on H1s but they have never serviced or repaired a truck for me. Probably the largest, but not cheapest source for parts is Kascar ( 864-422-0370 ) There is also a private H1 shop in Huntington Beach, Ca called Hummer Solutions. I don't have that number with me at the moment but Mike Sabrese can give that to you also.
I assume that you want this all done fairly quickly which means not spending a lot of time searching for the best price on parts. I have bought a lot of H1 parts off of Ebay but you never know what is going to be up for auction. For example I just bought a turbo unit complete with wastegate for $400.00 on Ebay. It is a $1200.00 part if you have to buy it when you need it instead of when you can get a deal on it.
I am sure there are other places that can do the work but these are among the best. If you can put together a list of what you want done it will help them give you a better estimate. Given that these trucks are in Egypt any pricing you get will be an estimate. There are always things that come up that weren't anticipated.
If you have more questions re-post or PM me and I will do what I can to get you better answers.
Thanks for the suggestions. Things which I will require doing on the H1s are probably complete engine rebuilds of the 6.5l diesels. Adding a turbo to the engine (is that possible?). Rebuilding the automatic transmissions or completely replacing them with new transmissions. Rebuilding/servicing of the transfer case, differentials/lockers and swivels. Replacing all the suspension components and bushings. Replacing all driveshaft U-joints,....,etc. Rebuild the Central Tire Inflation System. And ofcourse anything else which can come up.
As far as the interior is concerened, I will need a complete new interior with new dash and instruments. The exterior will require a complete body paint, inside and out as well as the engine bay. New tires, lamps, lights,..., etc.

A lot of work......would you have a rough estimate what the above would cost. Based on the above requirements, would you think Mike Sabrese or Lynch would be more suitable for the job.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Injunfarian

btw Welcome to the Forum.
Also If you want a cheaper method but just as good there is a guy in Toronto, Ontario. CANADA.
He does GREAT WORK! I goto him all the time and never have been upset. He will be able to totally restore your H1's as well, he works on basically all the H1's in Southern Ontario. And I might even be able to take some pictures for you during the process if I happen to stop in during their stay. If your interested in him pm me and I will get you his contact information.
Thank you very much for the suggestion. In my above post I have stated a lot of the work which needs to be done on the H1s. Will the guy in Toronto manage all the requirements? You mentioned that he could be a cheaper solution.......any idea what it would approximately cost me to perform all the work needed.

Thank you and best regards,

Tarek

Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

TKF,

I spoke with Rob at Tustin Hummer. They can do all of the mechanical and interior work. They send the trucks out for apint and boby work. I have had them do some paint work for me and was very satisfied. Call Rob/Mike at Tustin Hummer and go through in detail what you need done. Mike Sabrese is one of the best, if not the best H1 mechanic in the country. If you checked with AM General they would tell you the same thing.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:08 PM

TKF,

I spoke with Rob at Tustin Hummer. They can do all of the mechanical and interior work. They send the trucks out for apint and boby work. I have had them do some paint work for me and was very satisfied. Call Rob/Mike at Tustin Hummer and go through in detail what you need done. Mike Sabrese is one of the best, if not the best H1 mechanic in the country. If you checked with AM General they would tell you the same thing.
Many thanks........I will give Rob and Mike a call. I will let you know what they suggested.

Kind regards,

Tarek

Old 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Ok. keep us posted on what you decide to do and how it goes.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:17 PM

Ok. keep us posted on what you decide to do and how it goes.
Thank you very muchDavid.......I just hung up with Mike. Very friendly man and knows his business. He also knows you quite well. I told him that you recommended him to me. He is happy to do all the work needed on both H1s. He also suggested keeping the 6.5l NA engines and not replacing them with turbo charged engines as the NA engineswere far more reliable and would handle any abuse. He can increase the engineHP a bit by using a different fuel pump. He also suggested upgrading the automatic transmission to a sort of clutchless manual system......the same system they use on their own racing H1. The stock automatic transmission apparently suffers frommany electronic problems.
I'll send him an email with some interior and exterior pictures and he'll send me an estimate for all the work needed.

Are there any engine upgrades I can do to the stock 6.5l engine to increase HP apart from a different fuel pump?

I will keep you all posted of the progress.

Thanks again to all of you. Kind regards,

Tarek

Quick Reply: H1 Restoration