PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grill Guard/Roof Rack Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Default Grill Guard/Roof Rack Questions

Hi guys, I have been this forum for a while and asked a couple of quesitons before. Each time I got very helpful response. Thanks to all for the warm-hearted advice.

I'd like to do some easy updates on my 08 H3. I'm not a very handy guy and don't like to do the drilling work. So I prefer some easy installations. First thing I'm interested is the grill guard. I know it'll make the hummer better looking. While other than the improvement on the handsome outlooking, any other good/bad on the grill guard? Will it protect the truck during the normal on-road driving, like avoid bugs/chips hitting the grill and headlight? Or it will introduce some trouble, like wind noise and lower MPG?

Second thing is the roof carrier. I like the GOBI roof rack while it is too pricey to me. There are some other aftermarket smaller roof rack, cheaper of course. Will the roof carrier be very useful? Will it bring annoying wind noise? Another solution I'm considering is the simple roof crossbars. Can I carry things like bags with only the roof bars?

Any advice appreicated.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Brush guards are a bolt on. They will impact MPG.

Roof racks for the H3 attach in the factory track for the factory roof rails. They impact MPG even more.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 AM

I have an 08 too. Love the grill guard, I assume you mean the factory OEM one. I have that one and do not get any wind noise. MPG suffers a little. The Guard isn't terrible to install at all. Be aware that the middle screws of the tow hook assembly are a major PITA to put back in. Otherwise it is pretty straightforward. It won't complete protect against bugs and rocks, but it is a little better than nothing.

I use my roof racks (aries) a lot for summer camping trips to carry the canoe or kayaks or I used it to carry a ladder once. Not really any major wind noise out of those. Depends on what bag you mean to carry with it. They are fairly easy to adjust and install. MPG will suffer with these, especially if you put stuff on them. I liked the look of the roof rack though...

Nothing you mentioned needs drilling and can be installed pretty quickly. If you do a search I think I made an instruction post a while back on how to install the roof racks.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:18 PM

Looking at getting Gobi Stealth. Vendor asks if factory marker lights are installed. Doesn't mention Satcom antenna for XM. Didn't see one in any of the pictures. Does anyone know if the spoiler will clear the antenna?