PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get Up the Hill

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 07:20 AM

Yep - it does take a bit of time. First of all, I'd suggest taking care of any tuneup things I mentioned and add anything you plan on adding. Then give it a week for the ECU to settle down to let the long term fuel trims level out. Then for the custom tune you will enable logging on the Intune and do a steady good drive on the highway to get some baseline data logged. The fun one will be a WOT (wide open throttle) run. Need some clear space, no traffic, etc for a nice distance for making that log as you will basically floor it and keep it floored for a bit...

The adjustments to the transmission shift points also are a huge improvement. In the end I'm pretty sure you will be quite happy with the difference in how your 2 gets you around.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:18 AM

Don't they come factory with a "cold air intake"?
Every engine picture I see shows what I call a CAI. No airbox, just a big filter.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by hkench
Don't they come factory with a "cold air intake"?
Every engine picture I see shows what I call a CAI. No airbox, just a big filter.
No airbox would be a hot air intake as then it is just pulling hot air from under the hood right off the exhaust and whatnot. A cold air intake pulls air from the fender or some sort of ducting to get cooler air from anywhere but the engine compartment.

Factory (also on all GM trucks) they pull air from the passenger side fender cavity and is actually already a very well designed and engineered cold air intake. On the H2's they also come stock with a very large high flow air filter. The one thing that the factory does do though is the main air pipe from the airbox to the intake has baffle sections to make it quieter so an aftermarket tube does add a bit of sound and smooths out the airflow but realistically it does not really add anything significant in the way of power.

Factory cold air intake shown... I do have an Airaid MIT (modular intake tube) instead of ths stock tube.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:20 PM

Ahhh, learn something new everyday.
Mine looks like this:
At least I think it does. Or it did.
I haven't seen her since the motor blew back on Feb 16.
She is getting a LS3, 6.2, headers, new trans, and some other gadgets.
Supposed to be ready for pick up on April 1st, but I have a feeling they are waiting on the new Ron Davis radiator.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:22 AM

Actually that type is an actual cold air intake. That has an airbox that is made when the hood is closed - on that style the foam strip along the top edge is supposed to seal against the hood when closed and it will pull cooler air from the same opening in the fender as the stock airbox. Just about the same size filter as the stock filter but a higher flow washable K&N filter and of course a smooth flowing intake tube.

There are some that just have a smooth intake tube with a filter on the end of it but not boxed in at all which is actually worse than the stock setup.