PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Full Time Fog Lights Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 AM

Thought I would bump this one back up to the top again. It has been a long time since I posted this originally. My wife drives the H3. I drove the H3 last night and could not really see the advantage to turning on the high beams. If the fogs stayed on, I could probably tell the difference.

Anyone done this yet?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 PM

How about another bump just to see if it has happened yet.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 AM

I wired my '08 so the fogs would stay on with the Hi-Beams.
With this configuration:

The fog light switch will still operate the fogs normally, EXCEPT, when the hi-beams are on, the fogs stay on regardless of the fog light switch position. Easy 5 min. job

The Headlight Relay and Foglight Relay, both use terminal #86 to conect the diode to. The diode is a Radio Shack #276-1102. 2pak for .99
IMPORTANT! The diode must be connected with the silver band (cathode end) towards the Foglight Relay.

Last edited by Broken Halo; 02-25-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Got this working a few weeks ago. Works like I think it should when it left the factory. The only thing I see different, is when I go back to dims, the fogs go off for a second and then come right back on. Did you notice this BH?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
Got this working a few weeks ago. Works like I think it should when it left the factory. The only thing I see different, is when I go back to dims, the fogs go off for a second and then come right back on. Did you notice this BH?
yeah....mine do the same thing. Apparently what's happening:

When the 'brights' relay is energized, it also energizes the fog relay.
When you switch off the brights, there is a slight delay between the the brights relay opening contacts (to turn off brights), and the fog relay closing (to turn on the fogs). Won't hurt anything...just a minor inconvinience we'll have to live with.

By the way drtom.....I've been trying to hook up that blinking red indicator light for the Hi-Loc, Lo-Lock. I don't see how it's possible from the switch panel, as the switches themselves are part of the circuit board, and not accessible to tap into for power to the led. Also, they don't 'turn on' 'turn off' a circuit, but instead, change the voltage output from 10.12v to 6.5v, and send that voltage change signal to the Body Control Module. The BCM then interprets that change in voltage, to send a on/off signal to the motor that locks and unlocks the transfer case. Except for running wires directly from the transfer case motor under the truck, up into the cabin to the led, I don't see how you could possibly have wired your LED.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 AM

I was afraid it would be something that complex. A little too involved for me. What happend to the 'good 'ol days', when you could tap into a electro/mechanical switch output, that would power a LED when the switch was outputting power

Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 PM

I know this is old but do you have a pic of the high beam fog light mod?

Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 AM

FYI, those are not fog lights but day time running lights.
I hate it when people have their foglight on at night since they are blinding. Ireturn the favor usually with the off road lights on mine. They do not see much anymore when thos are on. Teaches them a lesson

Old 11-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rascole
I know this is old but do you have a pic of the high beam fog light mod?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:12 PM

The old post showed a diode from the hi beam light to the fog relay, simple, no blink.
Hi beam = fogs on period.

Quick Reply: Full Time Fog Lights Anyone?