PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Hi,

I'm new here - first post.

I'm Chris from Germany.
If you run a H3 3.5L in Europe the power and fuel consumption is quite disappointing.

But there is a help.
Last week I've ordered a tuning software to get access to the ECU.
Today with great success I reprogrammed the spark map and did a gentle change to the fuel map - and surprise surprise - the engine has plenty power and torque at low revs and maybe needs a lot less fuel.
The injection values look very promising.
The next few days I will see how the consumption drops.
I'm heading for 23-23.5mpg.

Cheers
Chris

Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 PM

What software did you use?

Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 PM

I did the PCM tune and lost it after I took it in for warranty work. I know I can send it back to get it redone for free but I have no time to wait around without a vehicle. It would be nice to adjust the settings myself.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:42 AM

The software came from HP-Tuners.
HPTuners.com >> Performance At Your Fingertips

At the moment I'm on 18.8 mpg after adjustment with LPG fuel.
I think on 98 octane fuel it will need 20% less.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:27 AM

Just curious, how difficult (or dangerous) would a DYI pcm tune be for a newbie? I'm relatively computer savvy but only remedial auto knowledge. I'm guessing its mainly inputing the proper values? Or, is this something to definitely leave to a professional?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:46 AM

OK, I spoke too soon. I just checked out the cost of the software vs the cost of going to pcm4less. PCM4Less is the way to go. lol

Old 04-11-2013, 02:10 AM

As with all brain surgery - there is always a risk.
As far I've noticed the software has many safety routines to prevent damage.
Yesterday I had to remove the radio fuse to make the flashing going because the aftermarket radio had send signals the software did not know and so the writing was stopped.

The other thing is, you have access to hundreds of adjustments. What would you like to change and could this change be harmful to the engine?

I do tune engines for about 20 years (just as a hobby, not professional) and have now some experience with hopping up engines. Before I only did it with grinding, enlarging mechanical parts, other carbs and stuff.
This now was the first time I've tuned a modern engine with just a chip.

But it works so far and is easy done. But because it is so easy the risk of pushing it too far is there and could kill the engine.

Cheers
Chris

Old 04-11-2013, 02:12 AM

As with all brain surgery - there is always a risk.
As far I've noticed the software has many safety routines to prevent damage.
Yesterday I had to remove the radio fuse to make the flashing going because the aftermarket radio had send signals the software did not know and so the writing was stopped.

The other thing is, you have access to hundreds of adjustments. What would you like to change and could this change be harmful to the engine?

I do tune engines for about 20 years (just as a hobby, not professional) and have now some experience with hopping up engines. Before I only did it with grinding, enlarging mechanical parts, other carbs and stuff.
This now was the first time I've tuned a modern engine with just a chip.

But it works so far and is easy done. But because it is so easy the risk of pushing it too far is there and could kill the engine.

What I tune normally:

Cheers
Chris

Old 04-11-2013, 02:14 AM

Thanks Chris,
I had a feeling it would be something I should avoid doing myself. I'd rather not risk ruining my truck so I've decided to let a professional do the job.

Best wishes
JT

Old 04-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Hi,

a short video of the tuning result. It was taken with normal driving so I don't show the full potential.

I think it is a lot more fun now and the mileage is now at 19 mpg.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage