PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Winch Mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Default Front Winch Mount

Just curious to know what you guys are running in the front hitch mount. I'm thinking about putting a couple of lights on a bar and using the winch mount. On that note what do i need connection wise? Are there ant pre-wired electrial connections, switches etc?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Default RE: Front Winch Mount

I don't have any prewires on my 03. I'm reluctant to mount any lights on the front brush guard in fears that it will block wind from passing by the radiator. I'm sure that it will not block much, but with the big 6.0 motor, I want it to have all the colling power it can muster.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:18 PM

for the power connections, Google for Anderson Power Pole connectors. They make connectors for DC voltages up to 500 amps per pair.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:51 AM

Our H3 has the hitch made into the front bumper. There is also an additinal battery under the hook which I'm sure is there help provide additional power to the winch

Old 12-04-2008, 06:07 PM

Hello Friend,
For my Winch, I am using 20 feet of 2 gauge wire.
10 feet for the positive and 10 feet for the negative.
I also used plastic "WIRE SLEEVE CONDUIT TUBING" to give the wire insulation extra protection.
I snaked the wire very carefully through using plastic wire ties to hold it down all the way to the battery making sure no contact is made with any moving parts or areas that produce heat.
They are wired directly to the battery using 2 gauge wire loop lugs.
I am using battery terminal adapters which can accommodate multiple loop lug connections.
The other ends of the wires are connected to a "WARN QUICK CONNECT" adapter which is hidden and tucked away behind the front bumper next to the front passenger side tow hook.
My WARN WINCH wiring is equipped with a "WARN QUICK CONNECT" also and is mounted onto a tow hitch mounting plate which I conveniently remove from the vehicle when I don't care to carry around my WINCH.
But I would obviously only make the electrical connection with the "QUICK CONNECT" when I am going to actually use the WINCH.
And "WARN DUST COVERS" for the QUICK CONNECTS are very essential.
I am also using a spring loaded license plate holder in front of the tow hitch which sports a custom made "WARN" license plate.
Safari Hummer H2

[IMG]local://upfiles/4067/72FE098439C84279821FBBF9253F1AE2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 PM

Hello friend,
For extra external lighting, I mounted two "MILITARY BLACK OUT LIGHTS" onto my brush guard using 1 inch pipe hangars connected to the lights and fastened to the front brush guard.
Originally the wiring for these lights was snaked into the vehicle with a separate on/off switch but since this particular lighting system is designed for low visibility lighting purposes, they are now wired directly along with the front signal/marker incandescent lights onto the front marker incandescent light circuit.
Do not wire any lighting accessories along with the "LED" marker lighting circuit or your electrical lighting system will go haywire and start blowing fuses.
View two photos posted
Safari Hummer H2

Photo 1

[IMG]local://upfiles/4067/30AEDBC9635344688D66CB5242C0A64D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Hello friend,
For extra external lighting, I mounted two "MILITARY BLACK OUT LIGHTS" onto my brush guard using 1 inch pipe hangars connected to the lights and fastened to the front brush guard.
Originally the wiring for these lights was snaked into the vehicle with a separate on/off switch but since this particular lighting is designed for low visibility lighting purposes, they are now wired directly along with the front signal/marker incandescent lights onto the front marker incandescent light circuit.
Do not wire any lighting accessories along with the "LED" marker lighting circuit or your electrical lighting system will go haywire and start blowing fuses.
View two photos posted
Safari Hummer H2

Photo 2

[IMG]local://upfiles/4067/C1CAEAB6BD8648D89D8D11EC242FD9F0.jpg[/IMG]