PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front upper shock bushes worn out at 30k miles ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Default Front upper shock bushes worn out at 30k miles ...

Anyone else have early rubber bushing wear on there front shocks? Or is 30k miles normal for these?

I could hear this knocking noise in the front end and it was getting worse every drive ... so I jumped under the front and grabbed the shock and could move it back and forth and got the same noise.

At first I tried to tighten the top shock nut, but it has no thread left and is bottomed out. Upon removing the top nut, washer and shock rubber bush I then found a sleeve which slides inside the bushes. It's a metal sleeve and has worn a fair amount making it near egg shape.

The truck has never been off road and does mostly high way driving so I was quite surprised to see so much wear on what I thought was low miles.

So anyone else have these issues?

Also wanted to know if you can get a front shock bush kit maybe in nylathane or similar harder material ...

Thanx I'm advance guys

Chad

Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 AM

Being on a number of forums a few years now, I have never read this issue before. Maybe they were never properly tightened to begin with leading to premature failure? Not sure about replacements but a little nosing around on the interenet and I'm sure you can find something. Maybe 4wheelparts.com or Trailduty.com

Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 AM

+1 ^^
I'd have to guess your shock was not properly tightened form the factory which lead to early failure of the sleeve and bushings. That style of shock bushing is usually not an issue.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM

I had both front upper control arms go bad at 30,000 miles. It was covered under warranty though. Check and see if you are still covered.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 AM

I think you guys are probably right, they where probably never tightened enough from factory and its allowed the shock to float around and the bush to bash back and forth on its alignment hole.

Nolathane dosnt list a kit for it ... nor can I seen to find any after market kits for the shocks ...

anyway il keep poking around and see what I can find.

thanx guys