PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Leveling/Shocks & 35" Tire/Wheel FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Default Front Leveling/Shocks & 35" Tire/Wheel FAQ

Okay well this is my second FAQ, let me know if you guys see any errors or would like to add anything!

What does the front leveling of the H3 do?

Hummer in their infinite wisdom decided to lower the ride height for their H3's so that the front end rides lower than the rear end. The leveling concept basically adjusts the front ride height to relate to the rear ride height (truck will sit square vs. being slanted forward), some people prefer the looks (looks more aggressive), and others will enjoy the many benefits of adjusting the front (greater ground clearance, larger wheel accommodation, better rear view, etc)

Why do I want to level the front of my H3?

If you run 35" tires, want to see out better out of your rear window, or want better clearance for offloading... you'd want to level your truck.

Do I need a "leveling kit"?

NO. The makers will make you believe that you require a leveling kit to level your H3. Basically, the kit is aTorsion Bar Key that will re-index the starting position of the Torsion Bar... the kit will essentially allow greater adjustments vs. the stock key. Keep in mind, the stock key has enough movement to allow you to level your Hummer.

One thing that the "leveling kit" comes with is shock extenders for your stock shocks. This will help reduce wear on your shocks and will allow your shocks not to over-extend them.

If you want to level your hummer without wanting to purchase shocks, then the leveling kit would be ideal, as you can use your existing shocks with your setup. Sometimes your stock key does not provide enough room for a complete level adjust, in this case, you will need to purchase a leveling kit key.

Who offers a "leveling kit"?

Truxxx
Readylift

What are the two differences between the two leveling kits?

Readylift:
+Cheaper
+Lifts ride
+Includes shock extension
+Solid construction one piece

Truxxx:
+More popular
-More expensive
+Lifts ride
+Includes shock extension
-Not one piece construction (welds)
-Can squeak
-Can damage the bolt due to the weld spots

Can I level my H3 without a "kit"?
[/b]
Yes. You can adjust your Torsion Bars without needing the expensive "kit". But keep in mind; you should not be over-extending your stock shocks. So yes, you don't need the kit to level, but then it's HIGHLY recommended that you purchase aftermarket shocks designed specifically for the leveling of the H3.

To make it straight forward: Buy a pair of leveling shocks = no kit needed. Keep OEM shocks = you may need extensions, or a spacer at the top.

What front leveling shocks are out there?

Edelbrock
Fox
Cognito
Rancho

What are the specs of the different types of leveling shocks?

Type, Extended Length, Compressed Length, Travel
OEM......... 15.0" 11.25" 3.75"
Edelbrock.. 15.67" 11.08" 4.6"
Fox.......... 16.0" 11.5" 4.5"
Cognito..... 18.42" 11.77" 6.65"
Rancho .....15.77" 13.43" 2.34"

Why are leveling shocks important?

[/b]Because they give you the extra length that is required instead of over-extending your OEM shocks and they give you the added performance boost. They also don't require little "extension" brackets to be added which can add another point of failure.

Do I need leveling shocks or a leveling kit?

I would highly recommend that you purchase shocks instead of a leveling kit. Why you ask? Well the kit comes with "extenders" for your OEM shocks, this allows for an extra part to fail and you are still stuck with the stock shock performance. Go with the shocks and you will not only have the extended lift that you need, but you have the added performance of an aftermarket shock.

What should my ride height be?

Your ride height MAX is 23.5"

Last edited by Doc Olds; 11-14-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Default RE: Front Leveling & 35" Tire FAQ

that sums it all up....except for two things....you can fit a 35" tire on a stock h3 without cranking the t-bars...been done before by a few people here with no problems...especially if aftermarket rims are used, stock rims may rub slighty on the control arms.

Also, with a t-bar crank or a front end lift kit you can fit a small 36" tire

Old 09-04-2007, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

that sums it all up....except for two things....you can fit a 35" tire on a stock h3 without cranking the t-bars...been done before by a few people here with no problems...especially if aftermarket rims are used, stock rims may rub slighty on the control arms.

Also, with a t-bar crank or a front end lift kit you can fit a small 36" tire
Thanks import, updating that now.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:13 PM

As a newB, I appreciate your write-up. Lot's of good info.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:17 PM

Damn fine job.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:12 PM

Updated this to include some more information and wheel information as I see the question being asked a lot.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:33 AM

but what about 34" tires.....?

Seriously, a very good post and is appreciated by me for sure. I've got some 34's on the way with custom rims. I'll crank my Tbars a little, don't know that I'll go as far as 24.5" as mentioned above but I will at least get the front end a little higher than it is now and at least get it level left to right. I'm very surprised my H3 is about 1/2" off from left to right.

Thanks again for a great post, I've copied that info to put in my hummer vault.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: HUMMER DRIVER

but what about 34" tires.....?

Seriously, a very good post and is appreciated by me for sure. I've got some 34's on the way with custom rims. I'll crank my Tbars a little, don't know that I'll go as far as 24.5" as mentioned above but I will at least get the front end a little higher than it is now and at least get it level left to right. I'm very surprised my H3 is about 1/2" off from left to right.

Thanks again for a great post, I've copied that info to put in my hummer vault.
34's shouldbe a cakewalk

Quite honestly, going for the level look made a huge diff in how the car looks, I would go completley level Oh yes, mine was also a 1/2" off from the left to the right [&:] Beats me...

Old 09-19-2007, 07:02 AM

Hey ockie, yea I'm thinking the 34's shouldn't be much of a problem. I've ordered 10" wide wheels, the Super Swampers are wide too. I'm sure as Mark (Gunner) mentioned to me before that the larger and wider wheels will stick out much further (about 2") and I shouldn't run into any inside rubbing on my control arms, etc. They look really mean with those big feet sticking out... The one downside is that it'll be hard to keep the H3 clean with that large of tire on it. I've got GM mudflaps but they don't stop road spray even with my stock 265s much less these honking 34s going on it. That's OK though, I'd rather have the big tires and all that goes with it including the extra dirt it's surely gonna sling.

I like those aftermarket fender flares, they really look nice but I don't think they're wide enough to help much. I've only seen photos of them and they look like they may extend an inch or so beyond the stock fenders.

I'm glad you posted some shock info too, I was considering an extender block for my stock shocks but I don't like the idea of having one more potential point of failure. I'll probably look into some longer aftermarket shocks. You posted several options and each was a different length. Just looking at the numbers the Fox seems like the right range for me, however the Cognito's have much more overall travel and fully extended range. Not sure if I can take advantage of that with the 34's but I'm thinking that going to a longer shock is the smart thing to do.

Are there any thoughts on changing all four shocks with the same brand as opposed to only changing the front shocks? I know I'm only changing the height up front but I wonder if that effects the rear suspension too, seems like it will add more load to the rear and if that's the case is it prudent to put a better shock set on the rear as well, not necessarily a longer shock, I'm thinking more of a "better" shock with better damping and more strength. Thanks again for the info, this kind of stuff is what makes this forum a must read for Hummer owners.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:40 AM

I haven't noticed negative effects with keeping the rear shocks stock, but it drives me nuts knowing that my front end is all good and my rear end is stock. I have been thinking of getting matching rear shocks so I can have the same on all four corners... I also want something thats going to perform a little better, especially in worse conditions.

As for the flares on the sides, I don't see either how they can make such a huge diff, I just decided to live with the dirty car effect... besides, it's a HUMMER

Quick Reply: Front Leveling/Shocks & 35" Tire/Wheel FAQ