PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Grill Guard Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Default Front Grill Guard Removal

Hi guys! I plan on painting my factory chrome front grill, black but in order to remove it, I will need to take the factory front grill guard out. Does anyone have any idea on how to take it out I tried checking old threads but they are all about removal of the H3 grill guards. Thanks in advance for any inputs and suggestions!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:18 PM

It just pops off its on clips. You may have to pinch them from the inside with needle nose pliers on the stubborn clips.

If you are talking about the brush guard that plastic grill will have tone removed to access the 4 bolts.

Here is mine plasti dipped. I did this as an experiment and it has held up all winter even with -40c temps! I can peel it off with no damage to Chrome. I do have some rock chips but paint would chip as well.

Attached Thumbnails Front Grill Guard Removal-image.jpg  

Last edited by madmayo; 03-03-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:02 PM

Looks sick madmayo! That's what I plan to do but you're right, it's the brush guard I need to remove so I can get in the chrome grill. Btw, I used to live in Scarborough, Ontario before I moved out here in SoCal in '87. Thanks for the help on removing the front grill. I wondered if you can guide me in taking out the brush guard

Old 03-03-2015, 09:05 PM

I believe the GM brushguard just bolts in by 2 bolts to the hood hinges. Pull the lower grill off and you can access those bolts. The small lower grill below the upper chrome grill you are talking about, should just pop off by pulling straight forward. Be careful if it is cold as plastic become more brittle.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:41 PM

Cool and thanks for the 411 lojac! I'll definitely be careful pulling out the lower grill

Old 03-04-2015, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ninjarider
Looks sick madmayo! That's what I plan to do but you're right, it's the brush guard I need to remove so I can get in the chrome grill. Btw, I used to live in Scarborough, Ontario before I moved out here in SoCal in '87. Thanks for the help on removing the front grill. I wondered if you can guide me in taking out the brush guard
You are a lucky man! I'd love to be somewhere warm right now. It's been a hard freezing winter.

If you're in Cali. Do some research on plasti dip. It's the perfect environment for it. You don't even have to pull the grill off to do it. I've de chromed my whole rig with it. Grill, emblems, mirrors, handles and rear bezel. Almost been a year now and is holding up well. I was Leary and thought it was just for tuners but tried it as an experiment and now am a believer. Best part is if Chrome comes back in style you can just peel it off and have Chrome again.

It won't last forever but I have to sand and repaint my grill guard, sliders and bumpers every year anyway. Personally I think it will last a really long time in Cali.
As LoJack said, just pop the middle plastic grill out and the 4 bolts will be right there. Easy peasy.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:34 AM

Yeah, I heard about your freezing winter. I still have my parents and sister and her family living in Scarborough.

That was what my original plan is doing the plastidip to the chrome grill and the chrome fuel door cover. I want to do a clean job so I might as well take them out, I don't trust myself . I won't worry about the chrome style coming back, I really love the all black look I can't wait to start on this project and appreciate yours and lojac's help! Hopefully, since it'll be in the mid 80's in the valley this weekend, I might start on it .....

Take care guys and thanks again!

Last edited by ninjarider; 03-04-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 03-05-2015, 08:57 AM

Hey have a look here....
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...l-guard-27511/

http://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hu...ighlight=grill

I did this recently. 2 bolts either end by the turn signal, and then i removed the whole thing with a sharp tug. Seemed to work for me.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:54 AM

Be Sure & Post some Pics when you get'er Done! GL!

Old 03-05-2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by mattdillon
Be Sure & Post some Pics when you get'er Done! GL!
Will definitely do, mattdillon and thanks

Quick Reply: Front Grill Guard Removal