PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Default Front end Lift

So, I've decided to try and lift the front end ofmy 07 H3 Adventure by adjusting the torsion keys beforeI go all out and buy a front end lift kit. I've got a great local suspension shop to do the work and align.My question is, does anyone have an idea how many rotationsI can takeand see some improvement without effectingride dramatically. Should I compare measurement from center of axle to bottom of fenderon the back to the front? I've been told no more than three or four rotations before noticable changes in ride. What kind of distance from center of axle to bottom of fender shouldI strive for? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Bert

Old 01-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Default RE: Front end Lift

Bert..The majority of the peeps that have done it, put 2-1/2 to 3 turns on them.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:40 AM

yuppers...I did 3 on my passenger and 3.5 on my drivers to level it front to back and also side to side. No ride difference that I can feel...avtually I think it was too soft stock anyway. I think Hunner went 6 turns or more on his and has no problems.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 AM

6 TURNS WHAT 3 TO LEVEL IT SO WHAT HE LOOKING AT THE SKY WHEN HE DRIVING

Old 01-05-2007, 11:12 AM

Hey guys, being a FNG to these forums and the H3 in general I don’t usually feel
qualified to respond to a lot of the technical questions posted here. But since I just
went through this myself, I’d like to share my experience (for what it is worth).

After measuring a butt load (a highly scientific and accurate measurement) of H3’s, I’ve come to the conclusion that not all trucks come from the factory on equal footing.

For example, my truck measured out as follows: DSF 22.00†PSF 22.75†as measured from the center of the axle to the fender lip. Other (new) trucks I measured, ranged from a horrible 21.75†to 22.5†with as much as a 1.5†difference from right to left. Sooooooo…..having said that, based on what I have found, it is possible that one truck may need only 3 turns on the bars, while someone else’s might require considerably more to reach a level height. The dealer did my bars and the alignment (freebie before 7000 miles) so I don’t know the exact number of turns they did. However the end result was an almost level 24.00†front to the 25.00†in back.

The ride quality seems to have suffered in only one respect: pot holes and speed bumps are a little more jarring than before. That was to be expected based on the kabillion posts I backgrounded (from every forum know to man) on this subject and the cure seems to be new longer travel shocks. Now….finding said shocks was another matter entirely. 20 calls (lying for effect here…) netted me squat. Finally, I found a place called Cognito Motor Sports who has some re-engineered Bilstein shocks designed specifically for H3’s with cranked T-bars. Seems one of their engineers owned an H3 and came up with his own solution. They are supposed to work great. We / I will see. I’ll be starting another thread in the next few days chronicling all of my new add-ons and will include pics of the shocks and my impression of their efficacy. I hope this helps.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Regards,

Gunner_45

Old 01-05-2007, 02:35 PM

I read all the info I could find on the torsions. I got brave and turned mine up 3. I went to the dealer to get it aligned. I thought I would get it free with it under 7500miles.Being honest I said I turned it up, so it was not free. However "they" said we always turn them up 6. SinceI was there for the alignment, Ok I went for it. Are you following my drift, the Dealer turned them up to 6 and had no problem with that. Sort of cleared the air on that. Then I measured a few weeks later after wheelin alot and adjusted two more turns. Total of 8.I drive a Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins truck for my other vehicle so a "truck ride" was not a concern. However I really don't notice a lot of difference. Maybe a little jounce on short bumps but hey, its a Hummer. I have a winch and brush guard on the front and I am now at the same as back. 24.25 from center of front axle to bottom of stockfender.
My tire man says he cranks some of the pimped out rides all the way up on SUV's!! So those extreme tires and wheels will not rub. Also the Bubba Redneck pickumup faction does that as well. Time will tell on my axels and I do offroad. Yes I adjusted my lights down a couple of inches.
One more fact I can stick my finder under the bump stop. I looked at new ones and they are resting on it already.
Is this too high? ha ha

[IMG]local://upfiles/1095/73A7DE4BE50F413980ECD3858FA6716F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Gunner...Does FNG stand for Fu-cking New Guy?...LMAO..good one!

Old 01-05-2007, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Gunner...Does FNG stand for Fu-cking New Guy?...LMAO..good one!
Why.........Yes it does.

It came from the "DILLIGAF Book of Acronyms".

Everything I ever learned about covert cursing came from that tome.

It's kept me out of HR on many occasions.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:29 PM

A guy I knowhas that on the back of his outboard DILLIGAF2U

(do I look like I give a f*ck to you) if you guys were wondering