PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Front diff seal leak . Need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Default Front diff seal leak . Need help

Does anyone knows whats involved in replacing the front differential shaft seal .
Once again tge truck come back from the dealer and tge leak is still there . I cleaned everything and found the diff leaking... I guess is time to start doing the work myself and ditch the dealer
Front diff seal leak . Need help-20170410_101135.jpg

Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 PM

Dealers are called stealers for a reason.

Long time ago before time existed as vehicle mayhem and wallet taunting, my dear old late Ma bought a used car from a big GM dealer. She had a problem with the car which idled rough and stumbled on take off.

She takes it back to the dealer who gives the car a tune up for 180 bucks. Ya that's cheap cause it was a 4 cylinder and all they did was change out the plugs.

I get back home off the road and she complains it still runs like you know what. I drive it and ya, it runs like you know what.

I take it back to the dealer and talk to the service manager and ask what they did to fix it. I'm told it needed a tune up. I tell them it didn't need a tune cause it still runs like you know, anyway the service manager calls the mechanic in and I ask him why did you give the car a tune up when it didn't fix the problem.

I knew it didn't need a tune up but my old Ma didn't and the dealer whacked her for a tune up at 180 bucks. Make a long story that's already to long, short. I got her check back from the service guy with the parts they replaced and, they fixed the bad injector which was the problem.

A dealer is there to make money anyway they can and if you didn't know, they won't reveal the actual fix till they ring every dolla out a you they can before you realize what they are doing.

Today the dealer has every technical aid the auto manufacture has built in to these vehicles accessible by dealer manufacture software and can pin point the fix by either their obdii machine or trouble shooting by technicians at the manufacture.

I would not take a car to a dealer ever unless it was under warranty and even then it's a with suspicion.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:44 PM

Ok my story is even longer than yours . Lol

1rs stop they fix a wire which I cut tryimg to pass a new wire thru the firewall to power a light ...
I didnt know what was the issue but all electrical was crazy . The truck didn't even start
So they just run a new wire but didmt even bother in put some elecric tape to make it looks nice they just leave it lose . Even though they charge me 2000ish to identify and fix the problem
Well not bad considering it was fixed

2nd attempts. An oil leak . Possible the main rear seal .
I decided to change the oil pan too plus tgey said the pressure switch . There it goes anotger 1200
2 days later oil.leak still pressent

3rd attempted.. take it back cause still leaking oil .. plus they didnt put one of the transmission nuts .
Got it back 3 days later .. they put the tranny bolt and clean engine back oil ... Mechanic said it was just old oil comimg down.

Of course it keeps leaking . Even after I cleanit up a few time .

Took it back . 2 days later they said is tge valley pan and knock semsors shpuld be replaced too... ok another 800

i asked them to replace tge 2 valve cover gaskets and they quote me 200 .. when each gasket is $15 and all the intake was already off . Replace gaskets maybe 20 min . Well at the end they finish the valley pan and never touch the gaskets .

3 days later I cleanned very well all the area (notice the mechanic never cleaned any thing he fixed . Old oil was all around)
Then I realized the big leak was on the diff shaft seal . Not on the valley or anywhere else

Btw all this plus they break my alarm remote control ($150)
And he forgot a plies on top of the fan which would had caused seriously damages if I havent seenit after inspecting the airdoc which they mounted a hair close to the fan it was almost touching it

Cant believe all this &$it . The worse is they are the biggest GM dealer in area .

Like I said time to remove the rust from my tools

Last edited by H2Miami; 04-10-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:20 PM

That sucks Miami. You have been through hell with your H2 and that stealership!

I feel bad for you man. That dealership obviously just has some idiot hacks calling themselves mechanics. Sounds like the keep throwing piles of money at a problem and it will eventually go away mentality.

They SHOULD have first cleaned all of the oil off. Then put some dye in your oil. Then drove it for a while and then looked for leaks with a UV light. Oil can be leaking for a dozen or more different places. Sure - if you are going to replace the knock sensors you may as well replace the valley pan and check the pressure sender while you are that far in but there is no need to do all that if you are NOT sure if there is a problem that needs fixing.

I tell you, some shop and mechanics are just flat out near clueless hacks.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:10 AM

Went to the dealer today again. I spoke with service manager this time . He assure me he will personally take care of the case to make it right . They also assign a different mech to the truck
Im not sure why but Still trust this dealer. I guess i just got the wrong mechanic . Will see how it ends

Old 04-12-2017, 06:49 AM

It's always best to give them a chance to make it right.