PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat towing an H3

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Default Flat towing an H3

I just traded my old Jeep in for an 06 H3. Can anyone help me on flat towing tips behind my motorhome? Does it rack up miles? What position do you leave the key in? Can you remove a fuse or disconnect the speed sensor? The Jeep was so easy to tow and the H3 manual is not very helpful.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Default RE: Flat towing an H3

For one thing I remember reading in the owner manual to put the transfercase in neutral...But I'm not sure how far one should tow like that...Bear in mind, that when a dealer picks up an H3 that is dead for some reason (although a very rare occurance) they always flatbed it to the dealership..

Old 04-06-2007, 01:08 AM

i agree on flatbed/rollback wrecker ...never tow anything w/ the drive wheels on the pavement
unless you take the driveshaft out first.
if i was gonna pull one behind a motorhome id go by a uhaul place and see if they have a car trailer
forsale. i know guys that have bought used ones from uhaul in gr8 shape

Old 04-06-2007, 01:47 AM

If you hold down the 4HIGH Open button and 4LOW lock for a while (not sure on how many seconds) it'll drop into neutral - and your odometer will NOT run in this mode. I know several people who tow behind RVs and they don't flat-bed...haven't seen any problems yet..

Old 04-06-2007, 01:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

For one thing I remember reading in the owner manual to put the transfercase in neutral...But I'm not sure how far one should tow like that...Bear in mind, that when a dealer picks up an H3 that is dead for some reason (although a very rare occurance) they always flatbed it to the dealership..
If it is dead, you normally can't change anything in the transfer case (like putting into neutral) and you can screw up the 4wd stuff pretty easily..in neutral you should be just fine.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:30 AM

Neutral should be fine. Nothing will turn in the driveline, other than the wheels and diffs. Diffs are not a problem because the rotation of the ring gear in the oil lubes everything. The tranny and T-case will have no parts turning or creating heat.

For instance, if you have your auto in park, and put the t-case in neutral, the vehicle will roll away without the emergency brake on.. because the driveline has been disconneted in a sense.

I'm pretty sure this should be covered in the owners manual somewhere.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:00 AM

this is true but being in the towing business
i have seen transfer cases pop back in gear after hitting bumps
and the driver never know it happened till it was to late.
i know the H3 transfer case is electronically controlled but
i look at anything electrical like a safety on a gun
its a mechanical device that can and will fail.
i reckon owning the business makes me paranoid
knowing i have to pay for any damage i cause.
i have never towed a car behind a rv
but i know anything that gets wheel lifted gets lifted by the drive wheels
and if its all wheel drive it gets put on the rollback

Old 04-06-2007, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: kild1

this is true but being in the towing business
i have seen transfer cases pop back in gear after hitting bumps
and the driver never know it happened till it was to late.
i know the H3 transfer case is electronically controlled but
i look at anything electrical like a safety on a gun
its a mechanical device that can and will fail.
i reckon owning the business makes me paranoid
knowing i have to pay for any damage i cause.
i have never towed a car behind a rv
but i know anything that gets wheel lifted gets lifted by the drive wheels
and if its all wheel drive it gets put on the rollback
Interesting -- I didn't think about it hitting a bump and popping back into place. Have you seen that on newer cars? I wonder, if it was basically the design that allowed it to pop into place and Hummer suggests you can flat-tow behind another vehicle, if it would be under warranty?

Old 04-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

I see RV's towing Liberties, Wranglers and Cherokees all the time. I don't think I have ever see a RV pull a car on a flatbed.

I have a stick so I wouldn't have to worry about that, but if you have an automatic, don't you have to have the key in the ignition for your H3 to stay in Neutral, and also, does it have to be in Run or just Accessory? Would the odometer still be active?

Hummer Guy: Thanks for the tip! I was going to ask how to switch the transfer case to Neutral. That's very interesting. In theory, that would completely disengage all the wheels from the drivetrain no matter what gear you had the transmission in? And if that's the case, that means you could have it in Park and still have the wheels free-wheeling? I am curious about this now.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

don't you have to have the key in the ignition for your H3 to stay in Neutral, and also, does it have to be in Run or just Accessory?

Would the odometer still be active?

In theory, that would completely disengage all the wheels from the drivetrain no matter what gear you had the transmission in? And if that's the case, that means you could have it in Park and still have the wheels free-wheeling?
Not sure - don't think so

Odometer is not active

Yes, in Park you'd be free-wheeling.

Quick Reply: Flat towing an H3