PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally getting to the bottom of my engine knock.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh
Went and checked on the Hummer today at lunch. New lifters are in, the tech was getting the engine back together when I got there, all new lifters on both sides. Free oil change and coolant change out the deal too.

On top of all that the tech broke my alternator getting it off, so it looks like I'm getting a new free alternator too! Guess it's my lucky week. New lifters, head bolts, head gaskets, free oil change, coolant change, and an alternator! It's nice to see GM and the dealership standing behind their vehicles, I was a little worried picking up a vehicle with a dead brand, but no worries here anymore!

I got some pictures of the engine with the heads off, I'll throw some up later tonight after I get home from the gym. All in all it looked pretty clean inside, cylinders looked good, no marring in the walls, no excessive carbon build up, spark plugs look brand new still too, so that's good.

All in all I couldn't be happier. Pat O'Brien Chevy in Ohio rocks!

So, it was the lifters all along that was the only source of the knock ?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:10 PM

Here is a few pictures of the work being done, at this point when I got there around lunch he was putting everything back together.

I stopped by after work and everything was back together and the truck was idling quiet as can be, just the beautiful sounds of a smooth motor.

I have to say, this tech really blew me away. When I showed up after work he was sitting on the floor with a cut off wheel putting a nice clean notch in the "Hummer" cover that goes over my engine. Turns out that he noticed the 0 gauge wire going from my alternator to my front battery had the wire jacket rubbed through from the engine cover vibrating against it since it has to go up and into the engine cover to get to the alternator from the bottom. He even patched the wire up for me until I can get a new piece cut and installed when I get the truck home.

Amazing, I don't even know how to thank or repay this man for going above and beyond. It's obvious he loves his job and cares about the customers. Really I think he was happy and excited to get to work on something cool like my truck. He even said it was a nice break from the endless stream of Chevy sedans he usually sees.

Pictures:

Old 09-20-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
So, it was the lifters all along that was the only source of the knock ?
At this point yes, the engine sounds like a finely tuned piece of machinery, not a single noise to be had. I'm getting the truck back tomorrow after he gets to drive it for a bit. I'm sure it will be fine, but if I hear any familiar noises I'll be sure to let you know.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Draketh
At this point yes, the engine sounds like a finely tuned piece of machinery, not a single noise to be had. I'm getting the truck back tomorrow after he gets to drive it for a bit. I'm sure it will be fine, but if I hear any familiar noises I'll be sure to let you know.
How many miles on your H3?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
How many miles on your H3?
Just rolled over 54k.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 AM

Hey, Draketh, is that a small screw I see down in one of the cylinders ??

Just kidding.

Hope you get it back and it runs trouble free, forever.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:54 PM

Just got it back, engine is as smooth as can be, runs and drives like brand new, couldn't be happier!

Now I just have to figure out a way to let GM know about the amazing experience I had with this dealership.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the motor breakdown pix! Glad to hear you have a great dealer to work on your rig now!

Find out the District Managers name and email address and send him a letter regarding your "amazing experience" (oh, yeah! CC your dealer they will appreciate it!)

Old 09-23-2011, 01:34 PM

I am glad to hear that you concerns have been resolved. Please feel free to contact me if you would like me to note any information on your experience. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.