PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender flares or none? (upgraded tires)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM

I hate the look of all the flares out right now for the H3 so I run mine without them. Mine stick out as far as yours or maybe just a tad more. I will make my own flares that look much better before sticking those disgusting ones on mine.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 PM

they may look better if they were painted to match the body color

Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Real classy of you slamming a guy's 3 who only posted pics trying to help you! I'm sure members will be just lining up to give you a hand in the future!
Times 2

Old 05-16-2013, 02:23 PM

definitely not classy.

In regards to the tires sticking out far like ours does, Every offroad and lifted vehicle I have ever had, I purposefully make sure that I create a wider stance for better balance off road. With the h3 it already has a pretty wide stance, so not really that necessary, but I like the wider stance, I don't mind the tires sticking out. and I like the way it looks. So on our H3 really it's not really for much of a purpose, but just the way I like it.

I've never had a problem with getting it scratched with throwing rocks, as our paint still looks like new. Yes, we do get mud all over the sides from the tires, but We wash and wax at least once a week. and I've never had one suspension problem in 20 years of offroading with tires and wheels sticking out at least 4 inches. The h3 has a capable suspension system to support the wide stance. We've had our wheel/tires on for 2.5 years now with no problems.

On my cherokee and my other vehcicles that I've modded to be offroad monsters I've always added heavy duty suspension systems with upgraded steering stabilizers, shocks, tie-rods etc.

Some states it is illegal to have the tires sticking out so far, so not a good idea for an on road vehicle.

Aussie, I love your h3 and love what you've done with it and the trailer too.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:15 PM

Here's some pics of my ranger and cherokee. I feel with serious off roading making a wider stance is important.
egroegart

egroegart

Old 05-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Aussie H3
To me it looks like the wheels are the wrong offset for the vehicle making them stick out too far.

I have wider tyres than that and they do not stick out.
X2............ wrong offset rims, tires themselves are fine. However, it's your truck, if you like it that way, enjoy.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 PM
rsc

Racer, how are those tires offroad? have you had a chance to give them a work out yet?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Racer
Thanks for the reply, personally I don't like how yours looks (besides all the chrome stuff). Most people wouldn't even know it had larger tires put on. I wanted this one to look different than all the other normal ones driving around. I will guarantee that the wheel bearings and suspension will be fine. Also, sucks where you live, nobody over here will be fining me and kicking off this vehicle for the tires outside the wheel wells. Thanks for the pics though, really confirms that the Hummers look terrible with that type of flare.
If someone takes the time to respond to your F'in question and even posts photos how about trying to be a little bit less of a dick!

Makes others think like this: Racer+Question=Not worth the time to respond

Old 05-17-2013, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Racer
Thanks for the reply, personally I don't like how yours looks (besides all the chrome stuff). Most people wouldn't even know it had larger tires put on. I wanted this one to look different than all the other normal ones driving around. I will guarantee that the wheel bearings and suspension will be fine. Also, sucks where you live, nobody over here will be fining me and kicking off this vehicle for the tires outside the wheel wells. Thanks for the pics though, really confirms that the Hummers look terrible with that type of flare.
Different places and different rules, I quite like the flares, and I am probably used to them as most imported 4x4 vehicles here have them due to our laws I guess. We are not allowed to increase wheel track by more that 1" overall, so that's only 1/2" per side provided the wheel fully stay within the guards.

We are also only allowed to marginally increase overall diameter of tyres and my 33" tyres are right on the limit. And we are only allowed to marginally lift vehicles, and again mine is right on the legal limit. I can lift it more but would need an engineers certificate to legally do so. Extended shackles and lifts over 4" are out even with engineers certificate. All 4x4 vehicles must have mud flaps/spats or what ever you guys call them to stop stuff being flung up and back.

Tyres past the guards or no mud flaps is an instant defect notice from the local police. With the vehicle taken off the road and if not rectified registration is cancelled. So the vehicle can no longer be driven on a public road.

PS the tyres and lift are very noticeable parked next to a standard H3. the car now sits way taller with plenty of ground clearance. I quite like the chrome. I also like the clean chrome less look, but only have one Hummer. Everyone likes different things.

If we all drove identical Hummers life would be pretty sad IMO.

Everyone else thanks for your support, and don't be too hard on him for being rude he is probably upset that he bought the wrong offset wheels now

Last edited by Aussie H3; 05-17-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Real classy of you slamming a guy's 3 who only posted pics trying to help you! I'm sure members will be just lining up to give you a hand in the future!
Originally Posted by RKSmith163
Times 2
Originally Posted by Doc Olds
X2............ wrong offset rims, tires themselves are fine. However, it's your truck, if you like it that way, enjoy.
Originally Posted by TAINTER
If someone takes the time to respond to your F'in question and even posts photos how about trying to be a little bit less of a dick!

Makes others think like this: Racer+Question=Not worth the time to respond
Originally Posted by Aussie H3
Different places and different rules, I quite like the flares, and I am probably used to them as most imported 4x4 vehicles here have them due to our laws I guess. We are not allowed to increase wheel track by more that 1" overall, so that's only 1/2" per side provided the wheel fully stay within the guards.

We are also only allowed to marginally increase overall diameter of tyres and my 33" tyres are right on the limit. And we are only allowed to marginally lift vehicles, and again mine is right on the legal limit. I can lift it more but would need an engineers certificate to legally do so. Extended shackles and lifts over 4" are out even with engineers certificate. All 4x4 vehicles must have mud flaps/spats or what ever you guys call them to stop stuff being flung up and back.

Tyres past the guards or no mud flaps is an instant defect notice from the local police. With the vehicle taken off the road and if not rectified registration is cancelled. So the vehicle can no longer be driven on a public road.

PS the tyres and lift are very noticeable parked next to a standard H3. the car now sits way taller with plenty of ground clearance. I quite like the chrome. I also like the clean chrome less look, but only have one Hummer. Everyone likes different things.

If we all drove identical Hummers life would be pretty sad IMO.

Everyone else thanks for your support, and don't be too hard on him for being rude he is probably upset that he bought the wrong offset wheels now

Thanks to the guys who helped out, to the others LOL, I may be a newb to posting on this forum , but I have over 12,000 posts on the Corvette Forum and I know when someone is slamming a guy. I asked about Flares or no flares, I didn't ask about how my truck looked, I didn't ask about the load on the bearings, I didn't ask about weather the cops were going to impound it and I didn't ask if I got the wrong offset? LOL.
You can stick up for him, that's ok, I know how it works, you stick up for the veteran even if he was a bit of a "tool" in his answer.
Plus, what kind of answer is :they are the WRONG" offset? That is the offset I picked, I like the look of the truck so although, maybe some of you don't like the offset, I do, so the offset is NOT wrong.
Aussie H3, I did appreciate your pics, but that is the ONLY thing you added that was useful, the rest was you trying to tell me I was a tool......I stand by my response to you and if some of your amigos have trouble with it...............don't care.....at all.

Quick Reply: Fender flares or none? (upgraded tires)