PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender flares or none? (upgraded tires)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Default Fender flares or none? (upgraded tires)

Hi people, just lifted and installed larger tires on my wifes winter beater.
Love the new look, but the tires do stick out a bit now. Are most of you putting on flares or just leaving as is. Please post pics of your flares and what company they are please.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 PM

Looks great. I haven't seen anyone on the site here with flares on theirs. Our tires stick out beyond the fenders about 3 3/4" and have had no problems. You may get more water spray or mud on the side but it washes right off. I think it looks much better without the flares on an h3. The h3's already have large fenders that act as flares.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:16 PM

there are quit a few members that ave them. you can buy thm from here
Hummer Parts and Accessories: E&G Classics H3 Fender Flares Factory Black ** FREE SHIPPING **

they are a bit pricey, but they may prevent you from either getting a ticket for the tires sticking out, throwing a rock into your hummer, or throwing a rock into a car behind you and having to pay for the damages.

I personally like the looks better without but it's up to you.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:03 AM

Nice ride Racer. Looks like Raceline rims? My wife loves those rims but I'm looking at some diff ones and hopefully order tomorrow. Glad you asked the question because I've been researching the same thing.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I saw those fender flares that Staggs posted, but I have to agree, they are not the best looking flares around. The wife will be driving this in heavy snow and dirty conditions, I already know how dirty the 3 gets with the stock wheels, so I can just imagine how dirty it will get with these. The thing I worry about is again, what Staggs mentioned, throwing stones etc on the person behind us. Unless someone shows me a better flare, I am not going to put anything on the wheelwells and just let it ride!!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by lance_214
Nice ride Racer. Looks like Raceline rims? My wife loves those rims but I'm looking at some diff ones and hopefully order tomorrow. Glad you asked the question because I've been researching the same thing.
Hi Lance, yes they are Raceline.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:36 AM

To me it looks like the wheels are the wrong offset for the vehicle making them stick out too far.

I have wider tyres than that and they do not stick out.

By the way over here this car would be defected off the road along with a hefty fine, not to be driven till repaired/rectified. With another fine for not having mud guards fitted.

Apart from that, I think it looks bad sticking out, puts additional loads on suspension and wheel bearings, as well as risk damage to your own vehicle from rocks being flung up and damage to vehicles around you, all in all I can not see an advantage to it.

PS the Aussie Hummers came with flares from the factory, possibly to comply with our strict regulations relating to this stuff. Here is mine with 33" mud tyres.

Name:  IMG_3581_zps36d01634.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3591_zps5c6b0f38.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  72.7 KB

Last edited by Aussie H3; 05-16-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Aussie H3
To me it looks like the wheels are the wrong offset for the vehicle making them stick out too far.

I have wider tyres than that and they do not stick out.

By the way over here this car would be defected off the road along with a hefty fine, not to be driven till repaired/rectified. With another fine for not having mud guards fitted.

Apart from that, I think it looks bad sticking out, puts additional loads on suspension and wheel bearings, as well as risk damage to your own vehicle from rocks being flung up and damage to vehicles around you, all in all I can not see an advantage to it.

PS the Aussie Hummers came with flares from the factory, possibly to comply with our strict regulations relating to this stuff. Here is mine with 33" mud tyres.

Thanks for the reply, personally I don't like how yours looks (besides all the chrome stuff). Most people wouldn't even know it had larger tires put on. I wanted this one to look different than all the other normal ones driving around. I will guarantee that the wheel bearings and suspension will be fine. Also, sucks where you live, nobody over here will be fining me and kicking off this vehicle for the tires outside the wheel wells. Thanks for the pics though, really confirms that the Hummers look terrible with that type of flare.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Racer
Thanks for the reply, personally I don't like how yours looks (besides all the chrome stuff). Thanks for the pics though, really confirms that the Hummers look terrible with that type of flare.
Real classy of you slamming a guy's 3 who only posted pics trying to help you! I'm sure members will be just lining up to give you a hand in the future!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 AM

I'd like to get new wheels with a touch less backspacing to get rid of the rubbing at full lock - but here in UT that means either flares or tickets + not passing safety inspection. I'll get around to it eventually, plus I actually like the way flares look. Too bad nobody makes a big bushwacker style or I go that route.

Quick Reply: Fender flares or none? (upgraded tires)