PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EU-modification, rear lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Question EU-modification, rear lights

Hi hummerfolks!

I'm new to this forum and recently bought my first Hummer H3, 2006 model.
It's a black Lux- & Adventure-pkg. Impressive car indeed.
The car has been exported from America and I need some help from you guys to modify the backup-lights/rearlights/breaklights/direction lights.

To get the H3 to be legal in Sweden it needs to have orange turn-signal lights. I've bought new orange bulbs and replaced them with the white backup-bulbs.

Though I need to get the breaklights to stop flashing red, but at the same time I need them to show when I am breaking.

Of course I need white backuplight, and I will attach a new backuplight underneath the bumper.

Have you guys got any idea of how I can get the rearlight/breaklight to continue working as usual, but at the same time get the backuplights as turn signal, but not light up when I put in reverse?

I think it should not be too hard to do. I just need to figure out how.

Thanks for help and feedback! I hope to enjoy myself here at the forum.

Bonusquestion:
Where can I get original lightsockets for the headlights/headlamps? Right now it's converted to Xenon, and due to Swedish law I need to convert it to original sockets.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:12 PM

Could you just use something like this? It looks like the top clear section has an orange bulb in it for the turn signal. Seems like it would be a lot easier and you would still have your backup lights where they belong.

09 10 HUMMER H3T LH LEFT TAIL LIGHT TAIL LAMP 94734360 - eBay (item 220743647579 end time Mar-24-11 04:33:27 PDT)

Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Sure I could. Still need to figure out the cables though.
There is no connector behind the lamp at the moment, just cables.
So even if I bought one like that it wouldn't solve the problem. :-)

Plus I don't really want to put out more unnecessary money as I got broke from buying the Hummer.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:41 PM

I will try to get some help from a multimeter tomorrow and see if I can manage to figure out the cables.
In the meantime, could someone help me with the bonusquestion? :-)

Bonusquestion:
Where can I get original lightsockets for the headlights/headlamps? Right now it's converted to Xenon, and due to Swedish law I need to convert it to original sockets.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Lots of people on here are doing headlight upgrades. Maybe look in some of those threads and see if anyone wants to sell what they are taking off.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Songman
Lots of people on here are doing headlight upgrades. Maybe look in some of those threads and see if anyone wants to sell what they are taking off.
Ah, thanks for the tip. I will look into it.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Do you guys know if there is a box for all the cables somewhere near the trunk?
As the turn signal and breaklight are the same cable/bulb I somehow need to seperate these cables, so I still have the breaklight in the "main bulb" and have another cable for the turn signal which I can connect to the orange bulb in the fog light socket.

I guess that somewhere in the car the break- and turn signal are seperated, or am I wrong?
Could someone help me locate where the separation is?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:56 PM

Sorry, by "fog light socket" I of course mean backup light socket.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:05 PM

I believe the turn signal wire is blue. When you remove the tail light the wires go into a rubber grommet in the body. Pull that grommet out and it will give you more accesss to the wires. There is not much slack in them though.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
I believe the turn signal wire is blue. When you remove the tail light the wires go into a rubber grommet in the body. Pull that grommet out and it will give you more accesss to the wires. There is not much slack in them though.
So the turn signal-wire is not connected to the break signal wire?
In that case this should be easy! :-)

What's sad though is that the first owner who imported it modded the rear lights in a correct way, then a new owner decided to change it back, so all the wires has been cut several times, and the original colors are gone and exchanged.
I'm going to get a multimeter tomorrow so I can check for a pulsing current.
Then it should be easy to locate the turn signal... I hope.
But I will def. try to find the blue wire first.

Quick Reply: EU-modification, rear lights