PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Engine power

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Default Engine power

I just wrote a huge post on the general hummer talk which is the wrong section so lets make it short I need power turbocharger supercharger computer chips. Please help.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:36 PM

It gets complicated.... the further you go down this rabbit hole the further you will want to go.

A collection of smaller things will net you some pretty good gains for reasonable money.

I've done -
Full exhaust system including long tube headers
Full tune up including new plug wires, plugs, O2 sensors, cleaned out intake, cleaned throttle body, cleaned MAF.
Air intake tube (in reality a cold air intake will add very little but it sounds better)
Custom tune

These things really woke it up and its far far better than it was but I still very much want more. So I'm on the hunt for a good used supercharger. Those will be much more of a plug and play and will give better all around power versus an exhaust driven turbo which will have lag and a good bit of very complicated piping work. On a SC it will still be a good bit of work though as generally you will want to upgrade the injectors to higher flow ones, you will need a custom tune done, intercooler piping and mounting.

The biggest catch we face with either is our transmissions are going to need a very heavy duty overhaul in very short order with the additional horsepower. As they are they will take the extra power for a while but they will not take it for too long with the amount of weight they have to push around.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
It gets complicated.... the further you go down this rabbit hole the further you will want to go.

A collection of smaller things will net you some pretty good gains for reasonable money.

I've done -
Full exhaust system including long tube headers
Full tune up including new plug wires, plugs, O2 sensors, cleaned out intake, cleaned throttle body, cleaned MAF.
Air intake tube (in reality a cold air intake will add very little but it sounds better)
Custom tune

These things really woke it up and its far far better than it was but I still very much want more. So I'm on the hunt for a good used supercharger. Those will be much more of a plug and play and will give better all around power versus an exhaust driven turbo which will have lag and a good bit of very complicated piping work. On a SC it will still be a good bit of work though as generally you will want to upgrade the injectors to higher flow ones, you will need a custom tune done, intercooler piping and mounting.

The biggest catch we face with either is our transmissions are going to need a very heavy duty overhaul in very short order with the additional horsepower. As they are they will take the extra power for a while but they will not take it for too long with the amount of weight they have to push around.
Ok when I read your reply my excitement level went thru the roof. Yes I definetly want to go thru the rabbit hole and I wanna go as far as I can. Now was everything that you did to your truck totally necessary?And if it was where do you suggest I start? I wanna go thru the whole process of waking up my engine just like you did before I start looking into superchargers n stuff. I love my truck man and i wanna give her the best treatment. in the future i plan to put 22inch cast iron rims and m/t tires plus an aftermarket audio system is going in there too. That's a lot of weight for a truck that's already heavy as it is. I'm gunna definetly need the xtra power. if I'm fortunate enough for you to take precious time to answer my questions feel free to put in as much information as you can. I'm kinda of concerned about the transmission issue after the supercharger(cause i know i will want more horsepower eventually )hopefully that wont be a problem too soon because its not a daily driver, my bitch is more like a weekend truck. I think I'm gunna start with the full tune up till i start hearing some suggestions from you hopefully. Sorry about the long *** message. i have the list of things you did to your truck, gunna do some research on some of the things
I don't understand from your list. Thank you sir. This is exactly why I love this forum.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Boricuoso
Ok when I read your reply my excitement level went thru the roof. Yes I definetly want to go thru the rabbit hole and I wanna go as far as I can. Now was everything that you did to your truck totally necessary?And if it was where do you suggest I start? I wanna go thru the whole process of waking up my engine just like you did before I start looking into superchargers n stuff. I love my truck man and i wanna give her the best treatment. in the future i plan to put 22inch cast iron rims and m/t tires plus an aftermarket audio system is going in there too. That's a lot of weight for a truck that's already heavy as it is. I'm gunna definetly need the xtra power. if I'm fortunate enough for you to take precious time to answer my questions feel free to put in as much information as you can. I'm kinda of concerned about the transmission issue after the supercharger(cause i know i will want more horsepower eventually )hopefully that wont be a problem too soon because its not a daily driver, my bitch is more like a weekend truck. I think I'm gunna start with the full tune up till i start hearing some suggestions from you hopefully. Sorry about the long *** message. i have the list of things you did to your truck, gunna do some research on some of the things
I don't understand from your list. Thank you sir. This is exactly why I love this forum.
If there is something you left out I wanna know. you can make a step by step list if you wish. Information is the key. thank you

Old 11-02-2017, 06:29 AM

Ignore the spammer posts from Amber3709. That is just someone trying to get people to a Russian website to buy a service manual....

Old 11-02-2017, 07:01 AM

On mine - I started with the basics and is pretty much exactly as I said.
ACDelco spark plugs. Do NOT use any other plugs. Get ACDelco #41-110 plugs.
I went with Taylor 409 spark plug wires (79205)
Get the right cleaner (CRC makes a spray cleaner for it) for the MAF

I got an Airaid air intake tube. I kept the stock air box as it is actually already an excellent very well design that pulls air from the fender while most all aftermarket cold air intakes pull air from the exact same place and many from also under the hood. I also have an Airaid performance air filter which flows a good bit better than the stock filter.

If any check engine lights or codes - you need to find out what they are and address those issues.

Remove and carefully clean the throttle body.
Cleaning the inside of the intake manifold is a pretty involved procedure and I'd not recommend that unless you really want to as it requires new gaskets and a lot of work. I only did because I needed to replace the knock sensors which require pulling the intake anyways.
Get a handheld tuner. My personal choice for the do it your-selfer would be a Diablosport Intune. That has a few very good stock tunes and when you are ready you can lookup Lewis (google diablosport lewis custom tune) and pay him to do a custom tune up. That will really wake things up as well as dramatically improve shifting.

Next bigger step is the exhaust. I went with the somewhat lower cost brand OBX from an eBay seller. Its the full stainless long tube set with the high flow cats. Then I lucked out and found a new old stock GM Performance (its made by Borla and is their touring kit) parts stainless cat-back exhaust kit. Both kits together replace the entire exhaust system end to end. When I did the exhaust I also spend a bit extra and went ahead and replaced both of the upstream O2 sensors.

All of the above - I've probably spent $1500 or so doing but I saved a good bit on that GM Performance Parts exhaust bit.

I do have the Diablosport Intune and am running the performance tune. Keep in mind, with a premium performance tune or if you get a supercharger you will need to always run premium fuel. You can get severe spark knock if you run regular gas which can cause major engine damage. If you do not want to run premium a supercharger will be out but you can still run a performance tune, just needs to be one that has the timing cut back a little so you do not get any knocking. A good custom tune also modifies the transmission shifting significantly as well.

I figure with everything I've done above and running the premium performance tune that I've probably picked up around 60 to 75 HP overall. Of course the basic tuneup does not add any horsepower per say, that just helps restore the original power that has declined from the old components. The biggest gains came from the free flowing exhaust system, better flowing air intake, and the custom tune. The air intake by itself will realistically only gain you maybe 3 to 10 HP depending on what all you get. The header kit really needs everything after the cats as well to fully realize the gains from that which are probably around 25 HP for the header kit by itself and closer to 35 HP if you replace it all end to end like I did. The major improvements in airflow both coming in and going out combined with (as well as running as good as it can from the tuneup) a custom tune are big improvements.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
On mine - I started with the basics and is pretty much exactly as I said.
ACDelco spark plugs. Do NOT use any other plugs. Get ACDelco #41-110 plugs.
I went with Taylor 409 spark plug wires (79205)
Get the right cleaner (CRC makes a spray cleaner for it) for the MAF

I got an Airaid air intake tube. I kept the stock air box as it is actually already an excellent very well design that pulls air from the fender while most all aftermarket cold air intakes pull air from the exact same place and many from also under the hood. I also have an Airaid performance air filter which flows a good bit better than the stock filter.

If any check engine lights or codes - you need to find out what they are and address those issues.

Remove and carefully clean the throttle body.
Cleaning the inside of the intake manifold is a pretty involved procedure and I'd not recommend that unless you really want to as it requires new gaskets and a lot of work. I only did because I needed to replace the knock sensors which require pulling the intake anyways.
Get a handheld tuner. My personal choice for the do it your-selfer would be a Diablosport Intune. That has a few very good stock tunes and when you are ready you can lookup Lewis (google diablosport lewis custom tune) and pay him to do a custom tune up. That will really wake things up as well as dramatically improve shifting.

Next bigger step is the exhaust. I went with the somewhat lower cost brand OBX from an eBay seller. Its the full stainless long tube set with the high flow cats. Then I lucked out and found a new old stock GM Performance (its made by Borla and is their touring kit) parts stainless cat-back exhaust kit. Both kits together replace the entire exhaust system end to end. When I did the exhaust I also spend a bit extra and went ahead and replaced both of the upstream O2 sensors.

All of the above - I've probably spent $1500 or so doing but I saved a good bit on that GM Performance Parts exhaust bit.

I do have the Diablosport Intune and am running the performance tune. Keep in mind, with a premium performance tune or if you get a supercharger you will need to always run premium fuel. You can get severe spark knock if you run regular gas which can cause major engine damage. If you do not want to run premium a supercharger will be out but you can still run a performance tune, just needs to be one that has the timing cut back a little so you do not get any knocking. A good custom tune also modifies the transmission shifting significantly as well.

I figure with everything I've done above and running the premium performance tune that I've probably picked up around 60 to 75 HP overall. Of course the basic tuneup does not add any horsepower per say, that just helps restore the original power that has declined from the old components. The biggest gains came from the free flowing exhaust system, better flowing air intake, and the custom tune. The air intake by itself will realistically only gain you maybe 3 to 10 HP depending on what all you get. The header kit really needs everything after the cats as well to fully realize the gains from that which are probably around 25 HP for the header kit by itself and closer to 35 HP if you replace it all end to end like I did. The major improvements in airflow both coming in and going out combined with (as well as running as good as it can from the tuneup) a custom tune are big improvements.
well thank you so much for all this precious information. like I said earlier I will start with the full normal tune up. I will keep in touch. i still don't know how to add you as a friend but i will figure it out or you can send me a friend request if possible or just add me. I'm going down this rabbit hole and i will have questions if you don't mind. Thank you. when i bought my truck about a year ago it came with what it looks like a cold air intake system(sorry for being such a damn noob ). I don't know the name brand of the intake system but it certainly isn't the original stock intake. that was gunna be my second task after the full tune up hopefully if it is a cold air intake i could either upgrade it or just replace it for a new quality cold air intake system since i don't know how long that one has been in my truck. that will be my next question for you when i find out tomorrow as soon as i wake my *** up in the morning & find out exactly what type of intake it is. i would like to send picks of my intake so you can see what i got but i cant quite figure this **** out yet. I live in south florida, (boricuoso317@gmail.com) that's my gmail. with pics you can tell me if what i got is good or not & what should i do. you've been there & done it with this truck, you've been nice enough to give me the rundown step by step as you know best so why not take your advice. I want you to hurry up & get that supercharger so you can school me on that too . as soon as i get my full tune up done & figure out what I'm doing with my cold air intake system then we'll talk Diablosport & Lewis

Old 11-03-2017, 04:39 AM
Wink Your Rabbit hole is already being lived in.

If money is not a problem message me after looking at my album pictures there is a list of some of the upgrades and cost you will be looking at when doing these upgrades not including labor.

You are VERY unlikely to find anybody selling a a used charger and if you did imo i wouldn't suggest trying to save on it changing investing more after purchase might as well buy new.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:46 AM

Just take your time and post whatever right here on the forums.... Also as Sema just posted, if you do go looking for a supercharger be very very wary of used ones. While they can seem like a great deal, if the unit needs a rebuild you can easily end up spending as much as you would have just buying a brand new one with everything needed.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:48 AM

Before you go down that hole, go get a custom tune first. You will need one anyway.

I was on the same path until I had my transmission rebuilt. The shop offered me a custom tune thru HP tuners and all I can say is holly crap what a difference! As an example, the stock timing curve was pulling -3 degrees of timing around 2200 rpm, that's part throttle. The curve now is adding +21 degrees at the same rpms so it feels like a complete different truck. I have no knock, not studder, no hesitation. He also moved the shift points a few mph.

If you don't have access to a shop that knows what they're doing, I have seen mail order PCM shops on here that will probably do the same thing.

My mpg is up too, 13.7 hwy (under 75mph) and city around 12.4. I also had the cats removed but other than that, its stock exhaust and stock intake.

Tim

Quick Reply: Engine power