PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Default Electrical Problems???

My 2006 H3 completely shut down WHILE I WAS DRIVING today. Luckily for me and for everyone on the highway this morning, I made it to the parking lot at work before this happened. But the scary part is that I was driving and it stopped...everything stopped...with my foot on the gas pedal. I put it in park and tried to get my key out of the ignition without luck. I ended up calling a tow. When the tow came one hour later, the damn thing had power. I refuse to drive it -- there's obviously something wrong!!!! It's at the dealers now with no word from them yet. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

Old 04-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Default Same 'sort' of electrical issue

I have 2006 H3 and recently, as I drive along, everything shuts down and all warning lights come on. Fuel shows empty, speedo doesn't work, none of the gages work, windows won't go up or down, etc. Then, next time I get in the car things are fine, for a while.. This has happened to me 3 times now and I've just been too busy to get it looked into. But, now with your issues I am afraid that may be next. Please let me know what the dealer has to say.

Thanks, mstgvic

Old 04-03-2010, 12:57 PM

I've heard something of this before. Not sure if was on this board or not. When your key gets really worn down, the ignition switch will randomly not recognize they key, and shut the vehicle down. IIRC, it was something about rather than chipping each key, they moved to a key ignition-recognition type item.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:47 PM

I Had this problem when a swapped in an unprogramed VCIM. I had the key in because the gear selector was out of park to get the radio bezel off, when I plugged in the unprogramed VCIM everything went dead and key could not be removed. As soon as I unpluged the new vcim everything powered up again and key could be removed. So maybe its your onstar hoseing things up

Old 04-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Default Loss of power-electrical

Your electrical issue occured with me 3 times.
First when I was installing a Jet chip (stage1) after disconnecting ground and installing following all instructions H3 would not start, had loads of errors, but radio, and Onstar worked. Used Onstar and they sent tow truck.
I removed the Jet chip praying this had not caused the error.
AT the dealership they said fusebox worked its way loose. ( I said nothing about Jet chip)
I was fixed and back on the road, and sent the jet chip back, fearing it may have contributed.
Last summer I bought grill off road lights installed at trusted mechanic. He had trouble after installing lights and reassembly loads of errors and no ignition. He stated he snapped the fused box together and then I was back on the road.
They one day I check my oil and when I tried to start the H3 same loads of errors, no ignition, but some electrical, Onstar sent a courtesy mechanic and together we we able to press on the fuse box and get it running. I went in the next day reported the problem and they replaced the fuse box N/C. I have not had any problems since, but I am fearful of trying a Jet chip again, but that is another thread!.
Long story but Fuse box was my culprit!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 PM

i had the same problem. in my driveway after installing the roof offroad lights. turns out i didn't have the 2 halves of the fuse box snapped back together all the way after doing the light connections.